• Register Today It's free!

Converting AWD to 2WD question

jleehoyle567

Reaction score
City, State
LENOIR, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 MOUNTAINEER
I have my 03 Mounty and never for any reason need AWD. I have an F250 4x4 for snow and towing etc. Which brings me to my question...

Can the transfer case be removed from the Mounty and just put a driveshaft from a 2wd X in its place? Also will I have to go to extreme lengths to put a U-joint at the output shaft or is it a slip yoke type that can just slide on splines?

My t-case is destroyed and was that way when i bought the Mounty, and like I said I have no reason to replace it.

Any advice?

I really dont want to get too optimistic, but i have been looking for the correct items for a awd swap and would be interested in trading... what i have heard in my quest for 4 wheel power, is that you will need a new tail shaft housing for 2wd because it's different then awd, but other then that, its pretty simple and straight forward it seems...

i would be more than willing to trade...only issue is the 1000 mile distance and the weight of all the parts. but maybe something can be arranged. let me know what all you need

keep in mind my t case is wishy washy...had a popping in it since i bought the Mounty and i decided to remove the shaft to eliminate the noise

Back