• Register Today It's free!

Awesome Forum

sullami

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4.0 ohv
Hi guys great website, decided to join up. Am going to replace thermostat on my 98 exploder today thanks to some posts here. I am still searching for information on draining the coolant, I was told elsewhere i can skip this step but not according to this post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199949 any extra help or ideas are welcome!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your're changing your thermostat this would be a good time to change your antifreeze. You can change the thermostat without draining the entire system, but why??? Antifreeze contains anti-corrosion agents which help keep your engine and radiator from being eaten from the inside out.

Glad you're finding the forum useful:chug:

Agreed will change af, got all the stuff to do the job. I saw here on the spesc the coolant capacity was 7.9 quarts or 4 litres is this correct?

edit

I drained somewhere between 6-7 litres from the system, flushed with distilled h20& prestone flush, drained, installed thermostat then flushed once more with distilled drained and filled with antifreeze. Temps are now normal, was running colder than snot and now the heater actually works!

All thanks to the explorerforum!!!!

Glad to hear it!:chug:

Back