Axle and leaf spring paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle and leaf spring paint

bubble874

Reaction score
I want to repaint my leaf springs and rear axle, is there any type of special paint. Can you put like rustoleum on the leaf springs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he thats what i did, i just said screw it and painted. keep a rag & some WD-40 handy. cause if ya get paitn on somethin you dont want to go hit with some WD-40.

Rustoleum's hammered finish paint works really well for axles, springs, etc. I just did the frame and springs with it on my truck. Might do the axle today.

reply on hammered finish

so it is the rustoleum with the hammered finish, does it go on smooth, like the original leaf spring paint or is it chunky and gritty. Also, how much should i buy for leaf springs and axle.

It goes on fairly smooth, no grit or chunk. The finish looks like someone hammered on a piece of metal with a ball peen hammer. I'd buy 2 cans to do what you want.

i got the rustoleum today from home depot. How should i apply, just list your steps and i will follow. Thanks

1. Turn Can
2. Read Instructions
3. Remove Cap
4. Read instructions again to make sure you remember to shake it up.
5. Spray
6. Step back and admire your work.

:D

Originally posted by mahieber
1. Turn Can
2. Read Instructions
3. Remove Cap
4. Read instructions again to make sure you remember to shake it up.
5. Spray
6. Step back and admire your work.

:D

What he said.....:D

Oh, wire brush the parts first, make sure they have no oil or grease on them, and mask what you don't want sprayed.

thanks guys, i am going to paint it, in the next few days, i think i am also going to paint my tie rods, depending on how the axle and leaf springs turn out. You ever tried that?

Would'nt it be easier to brush it on or does'nt rustoleum come that way........
Thats what i was planning anyway.

Rustoleum does come that way but for getting under an x and painting, i think spray paint would be less of a hassle, but more uncontrollable. But i would just mask the areas that you don't want paint on. I am about to paint in like 3 days, so I'll tell you how it went.

Back