• Register Today It's free!

axle pivot bushings

slow-demon

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl sport
Anyone ever changed axle pivot bushings on '91-'91 explorers? Do I need to use a press for the bushings or can I use something like a balljoint press? The same type press for changing the ball joints. Are they really that tough to get out and install? Thaks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine last year with E/S poly bushings, so maybe of some help.

Its abit of a time consuming job, if your up for it. The balljoint press should work, as I used a big C clamp in the same manner. Drill big holes (3/8") all around the rubber, then pressed out the remaining rubber and centre pin. The outer shell is factory flared on one side and that was maybe the hardest to remove. I used a chisel to open up the flare, then drove it out. It was a b!tch to do. Then used the C clamp to press in the new parts.

I think, could be wrong, but some replacement rubber bushings can be pressed into the factory outer shell. If so, then alot of time can be saved. I did require 2 floor jacks to support the axles and a big bar to seperate and pull the axle end down and away from the other axle.

Hope this info is of help.

Bill M.

If you have an air chissel they come out of the beam in about 5 min. just work your way around the factory metal flared bushing with the air chissel till itpops out.

Careful not to damage the beam.

Also once you press in the new ones, its not a bad idea to tack them into place so they stay put.
trust me.

teh rubber ones ride/flex better then urethane.

have fun! :)

410:

That's one he!! of a good tip for anyone. I never even considered the air chisel at the time. Sure would have saved me alot of time, not to mention lost blood, bruised knuckles, etc. LOL

Bill M.

actually Brett Grooms showed me that tip, so I cannot take credit but yes it is the easiest way to remove those PITA suckers for sure........

Back