• Register Today It's free!

Axle ratio questions.

Shurup

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Somebody said that Camaro has 2.6 (or 2.9) rear axle ratio and that's why they take off faster then trucks with 3.27 3.55 3.73 and whatever else ratios. My slightly modified camaro with 2.8L engine and auto tranny kicked many ***** on a road including trucks (newer then my camaro) with larger and more powerful engines. I can say for sure that my camaro would kick my X ass if I get it back.
So what do we have here:
2.8L, 2.6 (or 2.9) axle ratio camaro against 4.0L 3.55 axle ratio X.
Camaro wins because of the axle ratio or some other factors?
What can I expect of my truck if I change the ratio from 3.55 to 3.27, and what can I expect if I change it to 4.10? In which case I would be able to spin my tires a half block long at a take off?

ADD

Is that true anyway that camaros have 2.6 or 2.9 axle ratio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gears arent the only factor in speed. yes the lower ratio (higher number) will give you more take off. you have to consider everything else for ex. horsepower,torgue, weight etc. if your explorer only wieghed as much as the camaro things would be different.

yes the lower ratio (higher number)

I thought it was the other way around.

Brian

Lower ratio (higher number) will raise your RPM at any given speed, so you will have better acceleration but less top speed if gearing is the only limiting factor. Higher ratio (lower number) will result in lower RPMs which may result in better mileage and a higher top speed or better top end.

To change the axle ratio I guess have to chage the differential in the axle. Is that right? And if I change the diff in the rear axle, don't I need to do the same thing in the front axle? Do the new differentials have to have the same ratio (like 4.1 in the front and 4.1 in the rear)?

Yes, both differentials need to have the same gear ratio. You don't need to change the entire differential, just the gears inside. Though it is a good idea to install a traction aid at least in the rear differential at the time you change gears since this will save you $$$ in labor costs vs. adding a traction aid later.

Back