what is the stock axle ratio on a '92 explorer4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is the stock axle ratio on a '92 explorer4x4

Xplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT/'00 Jeep Wrangler
I have a 3" body lift and just installed 5.5"s of suspension, I have 32"x11.50"s on it now but now that I have my suspension lift I would like to upgrade to a larger tire ASAP my axles or still stock. I would like to put 35"x13.50"s on it now but I have been recommended to have atleast a 4.10 or higher axle ratio. If I run 35"s for a little while before I convert the axles will I kill the motor and tranny? What is my axle ratio stock? If any one knows this or how I can find this out on line please reply.

:) THANK YOU :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be around 3.54:1 (Maybe 3.55:1)

Unless you have the towing package where the rear was a limited slip with 3.73:1.

Look on the driver's door on the sticker and post what code it says for the axle.

It's most likely 3.27. Most X's are 3.27 unless you have the tow package. But as suggested get the axle code from the door sticker & post it or do a search on "axle code" you will get a chart as to what ratio the code means.

axle codes for my '92 explorer

the axle code for the front is - 1152KG -
for the rear - 1360KG -
What is the ratio?

:) THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK :)

That is not the axle code. It should be labeled axle with a code under it Here's the list:

43 Open 3.08
41 Open 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

I have confirmed that my axle ratio is 3.27 which sucks. Thank you for your help though Jason94sport. :)

Thanks, welcome to the club!

Back