• Register Today It's free!

Axle Ratio Question?

flya727

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
I just picked up my 03 ST last month and love it. Had a 95 Ranger for 12 years and many things are familuar with this truck, just more power with the ST. I just found out that my ST has a 4.10 rear end.

I know this will give me more torque while pulling, but I assume i will loose some MPG also on the highway? Anyone have some rough numbers on what you gain/loose with the 4.10? Also, was this ratio an option or part of a type of package that Ford offered?

Thanks everyone!

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it was part of a special package. You'll probably loose a mpg or two. If you wanted to you could put larger tires on it which will gear it higher. But you'll loose some of the torque.

Basically Sport Tracs with 235/75-15 or 235/70-16 tires came with 3.73 gears and ones equipped with the larger 255/70-16 tires came with 4.10 gears, so the rpm vs. road speed will be about the same.
Mine has 3.73's and I put on 265/75-16's almost immediately. It loafs at about 2200 rpm at 75 mph but I still get 20 mpg at best on the highway. City mpg still sucks.
I had a 4.0 Ranger before with 4.10's and the engine was screaming on the highway, which is why I got a Trac with 3.73's.

It may also have the Trac-Loc rear end as well. When I bought mine the 4.10 gearing included the Limited Slip.

Chad

Thanks for the great intel. I do agree that a larger tire will bring down the ratio and i will have to adjust the speedometer for the change.

Chad, how do I tell if my truck has the limited slip axle? The only way I knew I had the 4.10 is that I crawled under the back and read the tab on the differential. Would I have to take my VIN to a dealer to find out what they put on this truck?

Thanks,

Rick

I know the dealer can decode your VIN for you, but you can also do it yourself online. I am almost positive though it has the Trac-Loc (Limited Slip)in it, since you have 4.10 gearing.

Chad

Chad, how do I tell if my truck has the limited slip axle? The only way I knew I had the 4.10 is that I crawled under the back and read the tab on the differential. Would I have to take my VIN to a dealer to find out what they put on this truck?

Look on the sticker on the door jamb. There is an axle code. There is a list on this site somewhere that tells you what the code means.

Back