Axle Seals anyone?

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Has anyone replaced the axle seals on the front of a second-gen 4x4?

Mine are leaking, and should be replaced. I checked the vent hose, and it seems to be un-obstructed. I should probably change the gear lube anyways as it's almost 6 years old with almost 70k on it. Do I really need to drop the whole axle to change the gear oil or the seals? Is there an easier way to do it?

-Joe

I currently have a front diff on my workbench but I cannot think why you'd have to drop the diff to change the seals. I'm assuming that you're referring to the seals where the CV shafts enter the axle tube. You should be able to pull the shafts and replace the seals. Getting them out may be an adventure (you might need a seal puller). And, installing them might be difficult, too. With the diff in place, there isn't a whole lot of room to work thru the front suspension. I think the hard part would be loosening the diff cover bolts to drain the lube. I'm not sure if there is enough room between the diff and the cross member to completely remove each bolt. At the very least, you can loosen them, pop the cover and drain the oil. Hopefully, the gasket will be good enough so that when you tighten the bolts, the seal will hold. I understand you should replace the circlips on the CV shafts (so that the shafts "snap" into place).

Good Luck, Dave.

He would be hard pressed to get to the bolts enough to drain the fluid with out taking the Diff. Out! Best bet is to get a long section of clear hose and a hand pump and pump it out. as for the seals , they can be takin out with the diff. in the vehicle.

Back