• Register Today It's free!

Axle seal...how hard

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
My mechanic cleaned my drums while doing other stuff(replacing fuel pump, was dead) and he told me one of the axle seal was leaking a bit and my pads where almost done. Do I need special tools to change those seal, I will do the pads at the same time and chnage the diff fluid too. If I need any tool, I want to buy them before doing the job. Also is it hard to do, i never changed them(dont even know what it look like) BTW I do most of my wrenching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To change the rear axle seal, you have to take the c-clips off the ends of the axles inside of the differential so you can pull the axle out. Here's a generic procedure:

1) Remove wheel from rear of vehicle.
2) Place a pan under the rear differential, loosen the bolts that hold it on and crack the seal. Let the differential drain, and then take the cover off the differential.
2B) Added at edit :) remove the pinion shaft lock bolt from the recess in the differential housing and remove the pinion shaft.
3) Push the end of the axle shaft in and, using pliers, remove the c-clip from the end of the axle where it enters the differential.
4) pull axle out of housing
5) pull old seal out (you can carefully pry it out with a screwdriver) and wipe area clean.
6) press new seal in. This can be done with a socket that is the same size as the seal. Tap it in gently with a mallet.
7) re install axle and put c-clip back on.
7b) Added at edit :) align the lock bolt hole in the pinion lock shaft with the hole in the differential housing, push the lock bolt in, and reinstall the bolt to 15-30 Ft-Lbs Torque
8) put new seal on differential, re-install bolts, and refill differential with lube.

I think I'm missing a step between 2 and 3 involving removing a pin so you can push the axles in a little to get to the c-clips, but I don't have my manual handy. I'll edit this when I get home if I'm missing a step.

You can do it without special tools.

Just a note on step #5 above.
Instead of using a screwdriver take the axle (the one you just removed) and use it to pry the seal out. The notch designed to hold the c-clip is great for hooking the edge of the seal. Just hook the seal and swing the axle to the side.

great write-up

great write up guys....replaced my rear axle seal today.....darn pinion shaft lock bolt was snapped and in place.....when i took the wrench to it - it was surprisingly loose. had to then drill a hole and extract the bolt and replace with a new one the local canadian tire had.

Probably just as well. I've heard it said that you should never re-use that lock bolt because of it's propensity to break.

here's a shot of the broken bolt

Picture260.jpg

Need to replace the rear axle seal on my explorer. If the pinion shaft lock bolt breaks, could you not remove it with a small magnet. Does this frequently happen.

You may be able to get it out with a magnet if it breaks well below the threads. But it seems that it usually breaks right there at the bottom of the threads, leaving one or two to hold it in. Screw extractors work pretty well for getting it out. Here's a short but informative article http://www.skywaytools.com/autopg2.html

Thanks!

The dealer and several other shops told me the same thing you did. If it takes to long to get the tool from sky way tools, I just might leave to a shop before I mess something up.

Yep, mine was broken when I rebuilt it. Plus, AutoZone has a great slide hammer for pulling the seals and bearings. A/Z sells the tools for the repair and then you get a full refund on the return.

I bought the drill bit and screw extractors locally rather than buy the kit skyway puts together.

Well, I took the chance and removed the pinion shaft locking bolt as I already have a bolt extractor. When I took the bolt out it was still in one piece, so I am counting myself lucky this time considering that others were not. Took me ninty minuets to replace both rear seals and emergency parking brake from start to finish. Was not much left of the parking brakes. Next is to get rid of the open axle for a limited slip :D

Back