Rear axle seals and bearings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle seals and bearings

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Ok, I JUST did a rear brake job when I replaced both rear brake cylinders..........a couple months ago.......

Well, the rear axle seal on the drivers side is now leaking which means another brake job........and new seals/bearings.......

How tough is this?? The CHilton's manual shows it as being very straightforward..........remove diff cover, remove bolt, remove pinion shaft, remove c clips, remove axles, remove axle & seal as unit with special tool........

.........so, any tricks or tips to make this go easy?? Do I need a special tool to pull the bearings and seals or can I easily use normal tools???

ANy advise would be appreciated............I love the truck, but it seems like SO many things are starting to go!

:(

Thanks in advance!

You will need an internal bearing puller. You can proably rent one from your local partsstore. Other than that is should be no problem.

Well, I am almost embarrassed to say but I have decided to get an estimate from a local garage.........

I got under the truck and dropped the spare and got ready to start the project and then stopped.........."Do I really want to #$& with this?"

I saw a "how to" elswhere here and the person apparantly ran into problems with the pinion shaft bolt breaking.......he says that this is common and a real pain in the butt..............Between that and the lack of working space under my truck in my garage, plus the general accessability of the filler hole and the fact that the spare tire cradle blocks part of the diff, I decided to see what a garage will charge.......

I consider myself fairly handy, but I know when I am beat........probably an easy job. But I just dont know if I have the patience......and the last thing I want to do is screw up the rear-end........

..............so, feeling like a quitter! :)

Win some ya lose some

Back