• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shafts

tacorocketswiss

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco II Eddie Bauer
I pesroanlly was under the impression that all Explorer D35 shafts were the same and could be interchanged. According to the boks (junkyard) pre 9-92 axles are different than post 93 shafts. (Different models and diferent years apply) I haven't been able to verify this pysically, but does anybody have any insight on this? Thanks

Well I know for sure that the center sections are interchangable, mine was a 92 and I recently went to a 94 center to fix a noise coming from the front diff, no problems with the swap. That means that the spline count on the inners are the same, and the u-joints have always been the same, and warn lists hubs for 91-94's, not seperated, so the outer spline count is the same.... I dont know then I would have to say the books are wrong.

Maybe they are talking about the disconnect for the auto 4x4 with auto hubs? Lenght definatly didnt change.

Could it possible be between ranger front ends with the dana 28 and 35?

I guess I'll take my chances

the only difference that I have found with the d-35 shafts are the u-joints, I had a set of shafts given to me to use as spares and when I went to change the u-joints I found out that they was not the 297's but some out joint now the shafts were the same in spline count inter and outers and the correct length for my explorer just the joints were not the same. Now I don't know what year these came out of but I did not waste any time or money on these they went on e-bay and I got another set from a 91 for my 93 and they are the same shafts.

Back