• Register Today It's free!

Back to square one.

NotAFordGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Boyers, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ford Explorer
In chasing this cylinder #5 misfire, I've replaced the following in our '03 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 4.0L V6:

Downstream 02 sensor, driver's side
EGR valve
Fuel Filter
Coil Pack
#5 cylinder fuel injector
MAF sensor
Cleaned IAC valve

It's still running with a rough idle and we get a strong odor of exhaust inside the cab while driving. Where do I look next? Broken valve spring? Plugged CC? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't realize it was a 3rd gen. Have a real close inspection of the intake. They liked to melt on these things if there were cat problems later on down the line.

I did an inspection of the intake on Saturday when I had it off in order to get at the fuel rail. I couldn't see any damage at all to it. I just came back from my mechanic. His scanner showed the cylinder #5 misfire is still present. I'm at my wit's end with this thing. Maybe it's just that at 185K, I can't expect much more. It's been flashed at the dealership, so I know my PCM is good. I believe I'd hear a broken valve spring, so I can rule that out, I think, Plugs and wires are all good.....I just don't know what else to look at.

Back