Bad Customer Service Experience | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Customer Service Experience

The exhaust fumes in the cabin under hard acceleration is not a new issue with this vehicle. I don’t have the problem, but I know there has been many posts about it(there’s a multi-page thread on here).

Just a side note, MAX A/C and A/C with recirculation is virtually the same thing. I believe MAX A/C turns switches to only the vents and recirculates the air, whereas A/C and recirculate can be any combination of vent and foot(but not front defrost).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll post about my not so great experience with a Ford dealership in East Hartford, CT, Hoffman Ford. Before Christmas last year, I was hit head on (not my fault) and brought my Explorer to this dealership to get the body work done. $7,500 worth of damage, including new radiator and antifreeze. Fast forward to this past week. I decided to get new tires all around, Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (did not get them from this dealership). Five days after having these brand new tires installed, my windshield wiper switch went. The wipers would swipe continuously on the "1" setting even though everything was set to off (including courtesy swipe). I am not all that mechanically inclined, otherwise I'd replace it myself. I researched the price of the switch at approx. $45, and approx. 30 minutes tops to install. I decided to bring it to Hoffman Ford for repair, which is closest proximity wise to my home. I speak to the advisor, tell him what the problem is, and he brings the vehicle behind the wall for a tech to look at it. I should also mention that I brought my recall notice with me as well (recall 15S11 for interior door handle). The advisor said this could be taken care of, no problems.

Two hours later, the advisor brings me back into the office. I was a little skeptical at this point because he never came out to let me know of an estimate, etc. He goes on to tell me that they ran a "diagnostic" (which I didn't authorize) and comes back with a figure of $875.00 of work that "needs to be done". $231 for the switch (90 minutes labor), $102.15 for the recall which should be done at no charge, and some other things that "needed attention", including a coolant flush at $150. Interesting, since the coolant was completely flushed and replaced with my new radiator, which was done at this same exact dealership one month ago. Why would this possibly need to be done again? Scam perhaps. Also, on the diagnostic, he said my five day old tires had an 8 tread depth.

The advisor then says the the door handle recall was not done because it was going to take an hour and a half, and they were closing shortly. The wiper switch wasn't done because they didn't have the part in stock. He said they had time to do the coolant flush, and a brake flush that is supposedly needed as well. I told him no (didn't make him aware that this was already done by his very shop), and I would just like my vehicle back as I waited two hours for absolutely nothing. He then said, "well, for today, you owe $130 for the diagnostic". I almost lost it and said that I didn't authorize this diagnostic to be done, and I refused to be shaken down for that and demanded my vehicle. The advisor I could tell was flustered that I wasn't falling for his scam.

If they are being this dishonest to me, I can only imagine how much they are taking advantage of others who don't do their research first and just fall and pay for repairs that do not need to be done.

Very, VERY disappointed a supposed reputable dealer, in 2017, is still blatantly trying to mislead and scam their customers.

I'll post about my not so great experience with a Ford dealership in East Hartford, CT, Hoffman Ford. Before Christmas last year, I was hit head on (not my fault) and brought my Explorer to this dealership to get the body work done. $7,500 worth of damage, including new radiator and antifreeze. Fast forward to this past week. I decided to get new tires all around, Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (did not get them from this dealership). Five days after having these brand new tires installed, my windshield wiper switch went. The wipers would swipe continuously on the "1" setting even though everything was set to off (including courtesy swipe). I am not all that mechanically inclined, otherwise I'd replace it myself. I researched the price of the switch at approx. $45, and approx. 30 minutes tops to install. I decided to bring it to Hoffman Ford for repair, which is closest proximity wise to my home. I speak to the advisor, tell him what the problem is, and he brings the vehicle behind the wall for a tech to look at it. I should also mention that I brought my recall notice with me as well (recall 15S11 for interior door handle). The advisor said this could be taken care of, no problems.

Two hours later, the advisor brings me back into the office. I was a little skeptical at this point because he never came out to let me know of an estimate, etc. He goes on to tell me that they ran a "diagnostic" (which I didn't authorize) and comes back with a figure of $875.00 of work that "needs to be done". $231 for the switch (90 minutes labor), $102.15 for the recall which should be done at no charge, and some other things that "needed attention", including a coolant flush at $150. Interesting, since the coolant was completely flushed and replaced with my new radiator, which was done at this same exact dealership one month ago. Why would this possibly need to be done again? Scam perhaps. Also, on the diagnostic, he said my five day old tires had an 8 tread depth.

The advisor then says the the door handle recall was not done because it was going to take an hour and a half, and they were closing shortly. The wiper switch wasn't done because they didn't have the part in stock. He said they had time to do the coolant flush, and a brake flush that is supposedly needed as well. I told him no (didn't make him aware that this was already done by his very shop), and I would just like my vehicle back as I waited two hours for absolutely nothing. He then said, "well, for today, you owe $130 for the diagnostic". I almost lost it and said that I didn't authorize this diagnostic to be done, and I refused to be shaken down for that and demanded my vehicle. The advisor I could tell was flustered that I wasn't falling for his scam.

If they are being this dishonest to me, I can only imagine how much they are taking advantage of others who don't do their research first and just fall and pay for repairs that do not need to be done.

Very, VERY disappointed a supposed reputable dealer, in 2017, is still blatantly trying to mislead and scam their customers.

That story is very disturbing, I can tell you Ford Corporate would not support this dealership if they also confirmed those facts.

I would engage the reps on here and get in contact with the Regional Service Manager that covers that dealership.

I couldn't let them get away with that behavior.

Did they put all this BS in writing?

I changed my own wiper switch. I think it took 15 minutes, tops.

I'd get it in writing and send it to the Ford Regional folks. If no action, I'd go to your State's consumer protection folks.

sounds like a scam, did you sign the repair order saying you accept a diagnostic charge? Even if you did you can still try to say you verbally told them you did not want it rechecked and complain to the head office.
At least they get a few points for trying to charge you for a free recall, I'm assuming your door handles aren't modified in any way, sometimes they will charge if they have been altered from factory, which I doubt in this case.

sounds like a scam, did you sign the repair order saying you accept a diagnostic charge? Even if you did you can still try to say you verbally told them you did not want it rechecked and complain to the head office.
At least they get a few points for trying to charge you for a free recall, I'm assuming your door handles aren't modified in any way, sometimes they will charge if they have been altered from factory, which I doubt in this case.
No I did not sign anything giving them the go ahead to do any diagnostic on the vehicle.

That story is very disturbing, I can tell you Ford Corporate would not support this dealership if they also confirmed those facts.

I would engage the reps on here and get in contact with the Regional Service Manager that covers that dealership.

I couldn't let them get away with that behavior.

I definitely would if I knew who the reps here were.

Did they put all this BS in writing?

I changed my own wiper switch. I think it took 15 minutes, tops.

I'd get it in writing and send it to the Ford Regional folks. If no action, I'd go to your State's consumer protection folks.

I got it all in writing, I made sure of that.

How hard of a job was it to replace the switch?

A very disturbing story and experience. If I'm guessing he sensed you were not all that mechanically inclined and tried to take advantage of you, but underestimated your ability to think which you have had done a good job of. I can't speak for the switch, but I've never heard of paying for a recall or Ford's mistake. Perhaps the 2013 Explorer maintenance manual is different than the 2015 maintenance manual, but a coolant flush is not required until 100,000 miles, not saying I like or believe this interval is the right thing to do, but recommending to do a coolant flush just after one year seems very opposite of what the maintenance manual requires.

The advisor's greatest error in trying to take advantage of you was that he did not read what had been done to your car about a year ago at his own dealership and tried to up-sell you on a coolant flush, etc., that was not at all necessary unless there is something that I'm missing in this equation. And your absolutely correct, many, many others who don't think through everything like you did get taken full advantage of, very sad.

No way am I defending this dealership as I'd send it up the chain as well but wanted to point one thing out.

Most dealerships charge a minimum of 1 hour labor for any repair. They will not do work and bill put 15 min. Now, 90 minutes for a switch is absurd... But I would expect 1 hour for them. By the time they get the vehicle into the ship, do their inspection, scan the vehicle for codes/recalls (required), then perform what you want done and to get it back to you, it is not 15-30 min.

A charge for a recall?? I'd definitely make waves with this dealer.

I definitely would if I knew who the reps here were.
The FordService reps have recently changed and I haven't seen any posts from them in the last week or so. Just start a 'Conversation' with them using FordService in the "Participants" field.

Peter

Back