• Register Today It's free!

bad gas mileage 98 sohc 4.0

AceofspadesSS

Reaction score
City, State
egg harbor township,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
all of a sudden out of nowhere my 98s getting horrible gas mileage any words of wisdom? anyone else experiencing this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no codes ?? it is awd. but i used to get 300 miles to the tank and now im getting 200 all of a sudden. is it this ethanol doing it?

minus the question marks next to codes it has no cel or codes.

check the basic stuff like tire pressure and so on first

My mpg is crap too. I have air up the tires and it helped a little. The tire shop told me that they are shot. I don't think thats causing it to be this bad. I did get a cone k&n filter installed and didn't help, like I thought it would. The only thing i can think is the fuel fiter needs to be replaced like everything on it needs to be, or a dirty injector. I am going to try and run some stuff through the gas and see if it helps.

I am getting around 190-200 miles off a little less then 14 gallons. If anyone wanted to know..

Check tire pressure, make sure air filter is clean, plugs, wires, if you run injector cleaner in your gas tank that could help, sea foaming the engine could help. Would cost $10 for the sea foam and injector cleaner so it might be worth it. Fuel filter would be worth changing anyways if it hasn't been done for a while. Is it a continuous thing or is this a one time thing?

97redsport the best I've EVER done in my explorer normal every day driving is 17 so your not that far off at 14 and change.

Back