Ford Explorer 98 SOHC 4.0 V6 Idle problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 98 SOHC 4.0 V6 Idle problem

Aspera666

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Hello to all of you guys. I am very new on both forum and my car. Bought an ford explorer 98 with SOHC 4.0 V6 3 months ago. Recently started to operate kinda funny on idle. Rpm gage waves up and down around 600, stalling when stopped for lights and shaking like cradle. So I took it to a service and the guy up there could not point out what was the problem. Meanwhile, opened engine cover (plastic thing on intake manifold) and cleaned IAC valve with WD40. First it seemed like it helped a little bit but actually only shaking seems to lose its power.(but still shaking) I read some threads and learned that its a general vacuum leak problem. Looked for intake manifold gaskets in our market (Istanbul, Turkey) i was shocked with prices. Upper and lower gasket set is USD 12-20 in several sites. Here its around 150-170 usd. So i am planing to order them from US. and here comes my two questions: what seals should i change for a complete vacuum repair? can anyone give a specific list of seals? and any suggestions on my problem? would gasket be enough or should i be more cautious and change other parts? which parts? Sorry for long and detail needed questions. But I have to order everything from US.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normally when the gaskets leak you get lean codes stored in the ECU. Another way to check for leaking intake gaskets is to look at the current fuel trims. If you see fuel trims maxed out, you know the intake is leaking. If fuel trims are normal, then that's not your problem. I little troubleshooting might save you a lot of money given the cost of getting parts to you.

Any more suggestions? Come on guys. I am terribly in need of your help...

And check for hoses maybe come disconnected.

swshawaii, there was an old error long before shaking started. When i took car to a technician he erased it and after that no fault messages. car was running for short periods. I do not know if there was enough time to generate a fault code. yet no code.

drdoom, which hose(s) are you talking about? can you be a little specific?

thanks in advance.

Hi, I'd figure I'd login and help. I have the 97 Explorer with the V6 SOHC. Took it to Ford to have my idling problems fixed. Ill post a pic up of what they did to fix it to help you out if you wanna DIY.. Long story short.. It fixed it for the most part, and the parts are cheap but Labor is EXTREMELY expensive but I wanted it done right so I had the Ford Dealer do it and payed them nearly $700 to replace some gaskets :/
Here some of the **** you might need:
xmriir.jpg

Hi, I'd figure I'd login and help. I have the 97 Explorer with the V6 SOHC. Took it to Ford to have my idling problems fixed. Ill post a pic up of what they did to fix it to help you out if you wanna DIY.. Long story short.. It fixed it for the most part, and the parts are cheap but Labor is EXTREMELY expensive but I wanted it done right so I had the Ford Dealer do it and payed them nearly $700 to replace some gaskets :/
Here some of the **** you might need:
xmriir.jpg

Your problem as well seems like a vacuum problem. I am suspecting to have same problem just like you. thanks for the feed. you were very helpfull. I will proceed and DIY it. Hoping problem is gaskets.

it has been long since my car was shaking. 2 weeks ago finally a new mechanicfound problem! it was as simple as spark plug malfunction!!!! changed all 6 spark plugs and cables and now good as new. Thanks everyone who wrote here! Peace out...

Back