Bad lifter = answer to my problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad lifter = answer to my problems?

BlakeOfDoom

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
I have a 91 Navajo that needed new heads, so I got a pair from a dismantling yard, I ad them magnafluxed and it seems they are good to go. So I slap on the new heads and since then I have had a persistent ticking sound on the passenger side.

New plugs, new wires and new coil later....THE TICKING PERSISTS

So I pulled off the passenger valve cover and rocker arm. I pulled the no.1 cylinder pushrod to see if it was bent when I went to put the pushrod back in I noticed the lifter it sat in was a bit "spongy" it seems that the lifter has a lot of freeplay to it whenever I push down or pull up with the rod, the lifter kind of "follows" it.

Is it safe to assume that this lifter is bad? none of the other lifters are doing this; so I can only assume that (somehow) the lifter went bad after I put the new heads on. The truck has also not been running right since the new heads went on, there is a misfire present and the truck shakes and drives really bad in gear. Could a bad lifter be the cause of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, if it's not lifting the valve.... yeah, I would say it could. I would bet if it's that spongy then it's not even lifting. It's just bounching around I bet, and if the valve isn't opening, that would explain your misfire. Either air is not getting in, or exhaust is not getting out.

EDIT: Been thinking about this today, it also nicely explains your tick if that thing is bouncing around. See I've been saying for weeks whatever was making that tick was your problem. :p

Good luck! You've been fighting this for long enough!

Are the rocker arms and pushrods new? Usually it's high mileage rockers and the wear on the pushrods that cause the various engine ticks. Bad lifters aren't unheard of, so if you replaced everything else when you pulled the heads, yeah, it's likely the lifter.

You'll have to decide if it's worth it to pull the head to replace just one, or if you feel like getting a set and doing the whole thing while you're in there again anyway.

The pushrods and rocker arms are stock, they were nice and shiny when I pulled them, so there's definitely wear on them. I don't think that is the cause though, The truck ran fine before it overheated and the heads went crackity-crack-crack. I'm going to replace them in the future, but for now I have to replace the lifter, thankfully I only need to pull the lower intake manifold to access the lifters. I think I might have gotten some grit or crud in the passageway in the lifter and that ultimately led to it's demise. Unfortunately lifters are almost 38 bucks a pop so one is going to have to do for now. The rockers and pushrods are going to be about $120 but they can wait for the moment.

they talk about replacing cams all the time i cant wait to get my lower manifold off to check to see if one of my cam lobes is worn or scored

i know it sounds bad but i bought into cheap after market lifters and wondering if one of them was bad to start with like missing a internal oil flow bearing or wheel that is stiff and not rolling right on the cam there self adjusting lifters hence oil flow has to be controlled by the spring and bee bee in there but it should be relatively rare same deal got my heads reworked and have a tick could be lower have to take off the lower oil pan and check the pistons for clearance could be a loose piston also rare

Back