Bad news from mechanic *advice needed* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad news from mechanic *advice needed*

Avancamp

Reaction score
City, State
Gentryville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Well took the explorer to the shop to have the front timing chain replaced. While they were replacing that chain they noticed the balancing chain the bearing I guess what out too. I do not know much about the internals of a motor so bare with me. Anyways they put it all back together and they said it ran for 3 mins and snapped the chain. The chain was not broke when I first took it in. So they replaced it again and it snapped again. Now they say there is camshaft damage and cylinder head damage. What do you guys think my plan of action should be? All the searches I've done seems like this motor could be toast. Thanks for the advice.

It's a 2005 explorer 4.0 with 140k 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd find a used engine (LKQ or whomever) and work out a deal with the shop to apply the previous work $$$ into the engine install.

Or get another Ex, but one with the V8.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I am have to throw up a flag here!!!

The shop should have some, if not alot, of liability here, because you took your "running and driving" vehicle in, to have maintenance performed, only to receive a non running vehicle, with definite engine damage.

The shop should have some, if not alot, of liability here, because you took your "running and driving" vehicle in, to have maintenance performed, only to receive a non running vehicle, with definite engine damage.

Agreed, the customer brought the car in to be repaired. You would expect it to be in better condition than when he brought it in, not worse.

Tom

Odds are they didn't even have the tools to time it correctly anyway. These engines require a bit of research and a lot of time to be repaired properly. the timing kit alone costs over 200 bucks new. Most non ford shops wont touch them except to swap them out.

i am going to talk to them tomorrow about it again. The more i read on it the more I feel like the motor is trashed due to the timing chain breaking not once but twice! Last they said they can repair it but tmr I will find out.

You are finding out a significant issue with these vehicles. A) these cannot be considered reliable beyond 125-150k. I even had a tech who knows these inside and out tell me as much. B) when failure occurs it can be catastrophic.

Proper timing is essential. At minimum cam and valve damage, worse piston.

If they are a competent ASE shop, they should know the basics of working on these. If not they should turn down the job.

If you want to be nice about it, offer to pay for a low mileage engine while they eat the labor cost. If you want to play hardball you have case where they did not return the vehicle in the condition agreed to. However prepare to go to court if need be.

If the car is clean and has been reliable, then maybe option A. If it's been a money pit well, come to a mutually agreeable replacement price that they pay you.

You are finding out a significant issue with these vehicles. A) these cannot be considered reliable beyond 125-150k. I even had a tech who knows these inside and out tell me as much. B) when failure occurs it can be catastrophic.

Proper timing is essential. At minimum cam and valve damage, worse piston.

If they are a competent ASE shop, they should know the basics of working on these. If not they should turn down the job.

If you want to be nice about it, offer to pay for a low mileage engine while they eat the labor cost. If you want to play hardball you have case where they did not return the vehicle in the condition agreed to. However prepare to go to court if need be.

If the car is clean and has been reliable, then maybe option A. If it's been a money pit well, come to a mutually agreeable replacement price that they pay you.

Good advice! Shop involved sounds incapable of repairing the engine, if it's repairable. They talk "head damage"; how do they know? Leakage? Cracked? Replace the engine, IMO. imp

Legally, leaving your car with an auto shop creates what is called a 'bailment.' Did you sign a document that stated what repairs they were doing? Their duty of care requires that they return the car to you in a condition at least as good, if not better (as a result of any repair) as the condition you left it with them. Also, if you provided them value consideration (ie, money) and they returned the vehicle damaged, you may have grounds for a suit. The law does require that you attempt to mitigate circumstances tho. That is, give them a chance to rectify any damage they have done. At their expense, of course. Am I a lawyer? No. But I did cook some killer crab cakes last night.

Legally, leaving your car with an auto shop creates what is called a 'bailment.' Did you sign a document that stated what repairs they were doing? Their duty of care requires that they return the car to you in a condition at least as good, if not better (as a result of any repair) as the condition you left it with them. Also, if you provided them value consideration (ie, money) and they returned the vehicle damaged, you may have grounds for a suit. The law does require that you attempt to mitigate circumstances tho. That is, give them a chance to rectify any damage they have done. At their expense, of course. Am I a lawyer? No. But I did cook some killer crab cakes last night.

12285257.jpg

Back