Bad news today. Need some help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad news today. Need some help.

Tri-coat301

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
First, awesome forum you guys have going here, been lurking for a while and finally joined the other day. So I know I am a newbie asking for help, but what would you do in this situation?

I will try to keep this short but a lot has gone on since we ordered our 301A. Our salesman quit so we got stuck with "dumb and dumber" new salesman and his boss. Their only responses are "Yep, we hope it gets here soon too." Our first delivery date got pushed back a few days. No big deal we called the people we sold our SUV to and told them sorry. They accepted that and still wanted to buy it. That day came and "dumb" said it's not here but we can use his personal company car - a fully loaded Escape. (Cool, at least they are trying right?) New delivery date is in a week. Our Explorer has already been built for a week now "on ramp 79". Three days after we picked up his "company car" they called and said they sold it and we needed to bring it in and swap them out for a different (stripped down) Escape. Ok just get us our Explorer soon please. Now 2-3 weeks later we are talking directly to "dumb and dumber's" boss who is actually pretty helpful and at least apologetic. He found out today that there was a quality control hold on it. He said it could be anything from a key fob to motor to paint not matching. He is working on finding out what was wrong and when the 4th new delivery date will be. He also told us that a customer who ordered an Explorer 2 weeks after us has already received their vehicle. Awesome.

So here is where hopefully you guys can help:
1. Do we even accept this Explorer?
2. According to some of you guys they are getting ready to make the 14's. Do we reorder and make it a 14 for the same negotiated price?
3. Do we try to make them sell us a Sport that's on their lot for close to our negotiated price?
4. Do we give up on this dealership and Ford altogether and go order an Acadia?
Really any help or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get what you want and do nt i repete do not settle for less. It took me a year to find a 79 4x4 and took me 3 months to find a good 2000 explorer sport with the drive train i wanted. Glad i never comprimised!

Thanks Jay we have had our eyes on these 5th gen Explorers since they were introduced. We finally got to the financial state to afford one then seriously looked for a few months. When we couldn't find the one with the right options. We bit the bullet and ordered one. Just want to make sure it is not a lemon from the beginning.
Here is another question for someone with more car buying experience than myself. Do you get a better deal by ordering? (Because its a quick sale for the dealer) VS taking dealer stock?
Thanks again guys/gals

Tri-coat301 said:
Now 2-3 weeks later we are talking directly to "dumb and dumber's" boss who is actually pretty helpful and at least apologetic. He found out today that there was a quality control hold on it. He said it could be anything from a key fob to motor to paint not matching. He is working on finding out what was wrong and when the 4th new delivery date will be. He also told us that a customer who ordered an Explorer 2 weeks after us has already received their vehicle. Awesome

I am pretty sure that was my order... I actually heard about your order, that both our Explorers were sitting on the ramp and mine shipped first but I didn't hear about your Quality Issue.
Here is my advice:

1.) Get a hold of Crystal on the board and ask her if she can find out more about the holdup

2.) Call Tim at Crossley and simply talk to him, try to keep the conversation nice and don’t get worked up. He is the person that I dealt with and he seems reasonable, so I firmly believe that he will do what he can to get you your EX as soon as he can. You have to remember that a lot of these issues are out of his control. The factory determines when the EX will ship, I wonder if the reason mine shipped so quickly is because we are using a partner plan.

3.) Go here and request a brochure: http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/brochures/ when I did, I requested one for three different models and they all came with a $750 coupon. You can only use one but it is extra money off.

4.) If I were you, I would wait for the one you ordered, it is the one you want and will be worth the wait. You could try and work a deal on the sport on the lot but I think they only have a black one and a red one; the White one is the best 

LNGman thanks we used a partner plan also so I don't think that is why you received yours first. It probably helped us both get lower build priority numbers though. We know it is not the dealerships fault at all they are just the middle man. Ford is the one not communicating with our dealership. But we do feel like the dealership should/could be pushing a little harder on ford as to why And when.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the dumb and dumber reference. I am just frustrated with hearing the same canned response every time.

First, awesome forum you guys have going here, been lurking for a while and finally joined the other day. So I know I am a newbie asking for help, but what would you do in this situation?...
Tri-coat301,

My name is Cory and I’m with Ford Service (temporarily stepping in for Crystal). You’re definitely right about this community being amazing. :chug: I’m able to help by tracking down the latest status for your order. So I can do that, please send me a PM with your order number and dealer details.

...Get a hold of Crystal on the board and ask her if she can find out more about the holdup...
The helpful tips are hugely appreciated, LNGman! :biggthump

Cory

Any update??? Did you finally get your Sport?

Yes we did take delivery of our EX about a week after the posting. The issue was "3rd row improper function". We did not find out what the issue was until the day we went to pick it up. There was a paper in the EX that said 3rd row improper function then FIXED. Nothing explaining really what part of it was fixed, but we have used it several times without any problems. We were finally happy to know there was no major problem i.e motor,trans,paint. Wish Ford had a better way to track delays because the dealership nor the customer service here could figure out the reason for the delay until it arrived.

Back