Bad Radio Reception, Especially AM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Radio Reception, Especially AM

JackMcD

Reaction score
City, State
Lowell, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Anyone else have any issues? AM/FM radio reception is static filled and very hard to listen to, hoping there is a quick fix out there or i'm missing something obvious...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else have any issues? AM/FM radio reception is static filled and very hard to listen to, hoping there is a quick fix out there or i'm missing something obvious...
There have been a couple of cases where the dealer forgot to screw in the AM/FM antenna into the base. Make sure it is fastened tightly.

Peter

My 2014 Sport radio is rock solid all stations on AM/FM and Sirius

The dealer can test the coax and antenna really quick so its worth a visit

Thanks guys will do. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks Peter, you were right, the antenna wasn't even screwed in, wow, I felt dumb when I figured that one out after seeing the antenna in the glove box.

Thanks Peter, you were right, the antenna wasn't even screwed in, wow, I felt dumb when I figured that one out after seeing the antenna in the glove box.
That does happen occasionally. I mean the antenna not being installed and me being right.:D
Glad it all got fixed up.

Peter

Peter,
I just bought a used 2013 (10k miles) and the am reception is awful. I saw someone else had the same problem on a Flex. Supposedly there a new antenna assembly. Don't know if he got better results. I'm planning on talking to Ford service.

Gerry

Jack,
Where do I check the antenna connection?

Gerry

Peter,
I just bought a used 2013 (10k miles) and the am reception is awful. I saw someone else had the same problem on a Flex. Supposedly there a new antenna assembly. Don't know if he got better results. I'm planning on talking to Ford service.

Gerry
Hi Gerry. I'm not aware of a new antenna for the Explorer. The AM worked fine in the 2011 Limited I had. Here is a pic of the antenna my previous 2011 Explorer (left) and on my 2014 MKT (right).
The antennas look the same. The base is a little different but that is for the satellite antenna.
I'm not aware of any place other than the antenna where you can check for issues.
Good luck.

Do you still have the 2004? If not you might want to update your profile.;)

Peter

Attachments

• PC180279a.jpg
    PC180279a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,071
  • P5080236_001_01.JPG
    P5080236_001_01.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,049

Peter,
My antenna looks the same. Ford said there are no service bulletins, but i'm going to have them check it out anyway. They suggest maybe installing an am amplifier. It could be something simple. I'm in the process of selling the 04.

Thanks,

Gerry

Peter,
My antenna looks the same. Ford said there are no service bulletins, but i'm going to have them check it out anyway. They suggest maybe installing an am amplifier. It could be something simple. I'm in the process of selling the 04.

Thanks,

Gerry

How did things go at the dealership, Gerry? Has your reception improved?

Crystal

The dealer checked it on some kind of analyzer and didn't find any issues. But they said the antenna was loose, and they tightened it. They said maybe someone could have removed it before going through a car wash. This was late yesterday, it seemed better on the way home. There were times this a.m. when it was garbled but still not as bad. I'll give it a week. I'm still going to call Ford customer relations.
Gerry

The dealer checked it on some kind of analyzer and didn't find any issues. But they said the antenna was loose, and they tightened it. They said maybe someone could have removed it before going through a car wash. This was late yesterday, it seemed better on the way home. There were times this a.m. when it was garbled but still not as bad. I'll give it a week. I'm still going to call Ford customer relations.
Gerry

Thanks for following up, Gerry. I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager so they can help; just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll make it happen. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to Ford yesterday and they suggested getting a second opinion form a different dealer, so I made an appointment for 5/21/14 at Stevens Ford in Milford,CT. The first diagnosis was at Park City Ford in Bridgeport,CT. It's hard for me to believe that with auto technology where it is today that Ford would have a am radio with reception this bad. I really do appreciate your help on this issue.

Gerry

Radio Reception

In May I purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited (10.5K miles) that was loaded with options. After a couple of days I realized I realized there was something wrong with the radio. Contrary to the majority of people in this age of FM and Satellite I like to listen to local news, weather and talk shows on AM. I took it to Ford a week later and the only issue was the antenna was a little loose. They also suggested getting an AM amplifier. Another week and the reception hasn’t improved significantly. I called Ford Customer Service Relations and they suggested I get a second opinion. So off to another Ford dealer, the service manager suggested it could be the radio, the cable between the radio and antenna, the antenna or bad grounds. This was encouraging but again they couldn’t find problems. The AM and FM reception fades in and out very quickly and seems to be very sensitive. There have been other owners with the same issue. I passed these onto Ford for their technical personnel to review and the answer was that it was “an undesirable characteristic of the vehicle”. So I just purchased Fords top of the line SUV with problematic radio reception with no answers and no one seems committed to help resolve this issue. If there are other owners that have experienced the same problem I‘d like to hear from them.
Thanks,

Gerry

re radio on am

I to also complained about am and they told me that was as good as it gets and its very poor in am mode

poor am

I have the very same problem with my AM radio. FM is fine. Dealer replaced the unit and it worked very good for about a week. Frankly, I think the problem is related to the antenna connection or a ground. I have not had time to check it out. All other functions of the radio including my touch work as intended. I have a 2011 Limited with NO problems and getting ready to turn over 50,000 miles and still have about 7,000 tread left on the OEM tires. My dealer is Hilbish Ford in Kannapolis, NC and I have been so very pleased with all aspects from this dealer from sales to service. I drive 20 miles to this dealer passing the local dealer in my hometown to be appreciated at Hilbish Ford.

Ford designed one antenna to accommodate AM, FM Sirius and I guess the phone. Can one antenna effectively satisfy all four? I was also told the radios are not of the highest quality. I'm probably going to go to a couple of Audio Shops and get their opinion.
Gerry

We bought the wife a slightly used 2013 Exporer Limited a few days ago. It didn't have an antenna on it, so I went to O'Reilly's and got a $9.82 generic 14" antenna. It is working very well for the wife now. She was super mad driving home, because she thought the radio reception was horrible.

I have noticed poor AM reception on a lot of newer cars, especially ones with window glass antennas. Maybe the car manufacturers think people don't listen to AM anymore? I prefer FM over AM, but for talk radio I'll take whatever I can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason, when you say it didn't have an antenna, I assume you are referring to just the 'stick' type antenna that is for AM/FM and screws into the base. The base itself is your antenna for SIRIUS.

Peter

Back