Bad smell in cabin while stopped with heat on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad smell in cabin while stopped with heat on

Dluber

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
2013 Explorer with 35k miles. Notice a bad smell in cabin when at stop light or when truck is idle in driveway. Only when heat is on. Smells like burning antifreeze or chemical. Actually gives me a head ache and dries out my lips. Dealer could not find any leaks. They said it was condensation. Please help. Smell comes and go's. Never smelled anything before.

2013 Explorer with 35k miles. Notice a bad smell in cabin when at stop light or when truck is idle in driveway. Only when heat is on. Smells like burning antifreeze or chemical. Actually gives me a head ache and dries out my lips. Dealer could not find any leaks. They said it was condensation. Please help. Smell comes and go's. Never smelled anything before.
Welcome to the Forum Dluber.:wavey:
Try the A/C and see if you get the same smell. Check out the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375439&highlight=bad+smell

Peter

I just got my 2014 yesterday. Drove home around 30 miles from dealership to home, burnt smell-similar to electrical or maybe even "cooked" antifreeze. At first, couldn't locate anything under hood, or around wheels, thinking it could be maybe rust preservative on brake parts. I looked under it today, found a factory nylon label tape wrapped around exhaust pipe that has been cooked, though not completely. --LOCATION-next to lower engine thrust mount--This section of exhaust piipe only gets hot enough to cause the smell either after extended idle or long drive or engine under load (anything that would cause higher exhaust temperatures). After a drive, when you stop, the odor/smell travels up into engine compartment and into the HVAC intake below the windshield from outside.

Back