Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build

this thread is going to be just a thread posting any mods or work being done on the Navajo. I'll also make a registry which would kinda like a summery of whats in the vehicle and i already have a thread started about the work im doing to the front beams/axle. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206455

well here's whats up with it right now, its in mexico at McNeiloff-road to have a roll cage put in it :D

IMG_0583Medium.jpg

IMG_0580Medium.jpg

IMG_0581Medium.jpg

here's just some randome shots of the shop.

Chad McNeils shop
IMG_0585Medium.jpg

Perry and Jason's shop
IMG_0584Medium.jpg

this is a shot from the front gate around the buildings. on the right it is Chad McNeil's shop (McNeil Off-road) and towards the left is the building where Perry McNeil (McNeil Racing/Perrys fab n fiber) and Jason McNeil (Fiberwerx) shops are.
IMG_0586Medium.jpg

some sort of buggy
IMG_0570Medium.jpg

some trucks
IMG_0571Medium.jpg

a cool bumper
IMG_0573Medium.jpg

a sport trac
IMG_0575Medium.jpg

IMG_0574Medium.jpg

pictures suck, but here's some explorers
IMG_0576Medium.jpg

IMG_0577Medium.jpg

king pin, equal length.
IMG_0578Medium.jpg

a ranger
IMG_0587Medium.jpg

i forget how massive desert cars are till i see them. all the shocks, springs, tubing, reinforcing etc. is huge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweeeeet!! :D

Damn dude now you're makin me feel bad, I haven't even started my cage yet! Are you still doing your susp yourself or did you come across a goldmine and are getting it done by them? **** should turn out awesome, glad to see that pile progressing nicely!

haha thanks man. no the suspension is still going to be done by me, at least it will be if i stay coilbuckets. i haven't decided yet if i want coilovers or just coilbuckets. if i go coilbuckets, the whole front end will be built up by me. if i go coilovers, the beams will be semi built by me and the engine cage would be built by a shop.

talked with chad mcneil yesterday and the progress is... the truck is solid mounted and he'll be getting 120 feet of tubing for the cage today. 6 lengths of 1.75 and one length of 1.25 tubing (1.20 wall)

solid mount = replacing the ruber body mounts with metal mounts welded to the body and frame

picked up a neet shock crossmember for the rear last weekend and i used my black explorer to mock it up and try to see what size shocks i need. not the most accurate but i got a good idea of the length.

IMG_0661Medium.jpg

IMG_0659Medium.jpg

IMG_0660Medium.jpg

4wheelparts has a "wherehouse sale" this weekend so i thought i could grab some shocks a little cheaper, but nothing good was there. but some pretty good deals on procomp rims :thumbsup:

got the Navajo back today. left the house at 7 this morning, headed straight to mexico, got home at 9 at night and then took the front end off.

here's a few pics of the cage, ill take some more tomorrow and post em. its 1-3/4" 120 wall chromoly tubing, welded to the frame, adn the body was solid mounty and the pillars cut open for the bars to fit inside them. it came out really clean and they tucked the bars in deep enough that most of the plastic was able to be put back on. but dang, can you say creeks and moans??? the truck makes alot of noise and you can hear everything goin on outside pretty well. and you can hear the suspension through the body of the car, so the rear suspension goes squeek squeek squeel all through the car. oh yeah we also had an engine cage installed for coilovers.

IMG_0727Medium.jpg

IMG_0728Medium.jpg

IMG_0726Medium.jpg

IMG_0725Medium.jpg

IMG_0724Medium.jpg

IMG_0723Medium.jpg

IMG_0722Medium.jpg

IMG_0720Medium.jpg

IMG_0719Medium.jpg

IMG_0718Medium.jpg

IMG_0717Medium.jpg

IMG_0716Medium.jpg

IMG_0715Medium.jpg

IMG_0714Medium.jpg

finishing the engine cage. to put the leg on to the frame they had to cut off my shock mounts, so i pulled a rockranger and drove home with only one shock on the car, the rear drivers side (the other rear shock broke in the navajos last outing, glamis)

IMG_0734Medium.jpg

IMG_0735Medium.jpg

a few minutes ago, almost everything off, just the steering left.

well nevermind, photobucket is being gay and pissing me off.

ok a uploaded a pic directly to explorerforum so heres the truck as of right now

IMG_0736_Medium_.jpg

Man that is a lot of work. Looks Awesome for sure. Ready to see this build progress

Thanks for making me have to come back to CA haha

Freakin badASS!! I love how close it all fits to teh body, and those oh-**** handles. Can't wait to see it.

but dang, can you say creeks and moans??? the truck makes alot of noise and you can hear everything goin on outside pretty well. and you can hear the suspension through the body of the car, so the rear suspension goes squeek squeek squeel all through the car. oh yeah we also had an engine cage installed for coilovers.

UH HUH did'nt i mention that the last time i was over there?
but anyways it coming along nicely can't wait to see the new front axle on it.

good morning to everyone. time to move the diff from one set of beams to the other and put the stock axle pivot brackets on.

yeah i remember that, cayber. i was wondering about it when we were picking up hte car, and now when i drive it the words "solid mount and roll cage? that things gonne be laud. you'll hear everything coming through the frame" (cybergasm)

oh yeah maybe photobucket is working so i can upload smore' pics.

the navajo last night

IMG_0737Medium.jpg

IMG_0738Medium.jpg

and while we were waiting for them to finish the engine cage i took some pics of trucks.

these trucks were there last time, but they're a little farther along now

the explorer has king pin beams with like 3.0 or 4.0 coilovers (don't know what they are, but they're huge)

IMG_0732Medium.jpg

the ranger is just equal length beams
IMG_0731Medium.jpg

here's a 4wd ranger with a d44 front end

IMG_0729Medium.jpg

i tried to take a pic of the d44 steering
IMG_0733Medium.jpg

and then the camera battery died.

good morning to everyone. time to move the diff from one set of beams to the other and put the stock axle pivot brackets on.

So i've been wondering, do you need to have the gears set up again? Or is the ttb the same as a 9" 3rd member?

thediff in a ttb is like a 9" third member, it unbolts and you take the diff completly off the housing.

took some more pics of the cage, i also put the widened beams on and i'll put pics of that up in the "front end work" thread.

nice in tight. the bar next to the dash, didn't have to cut the door or mess up the glove box or anything
IMG_0753Medium.jpg

the bar arcoss the dash
IMG_0754Medium.jpg

just another shot of the visible stuff up front
IMG_0762Medium.jpg

from front to back
IMG_0755Medium.jpg

from back to front (sorry for the crappy pic, the flash didn't work on any shots i tried)
IMG_0756Medium.jpg

kinda tricky to do, but they got it so we can still fold the seats down with the angle bar
IMG_0760Medium.jpg

the rear corner
IMG_0759Medium.jpg

the rear tied into the frame
IMG_0761Medium.jpg

under the pass side
IMG_0739Medium.jpg

IMG_0740Medium.jpg

a solid mount
IMG_0741Medium.jpg

and here's a few pics of the engine cage
IMG_0763Medium.jpg

IMG_0764Medium.jpg

i hope i don't have to work on the brakes anytime soon
IMG_0765Medium.jpg

IMG_0766Medium.jpg

IMG_0742Medium.jpg

wow, looks really good. Did he advise you to tie your seats into the cage? I always thought that was a rule of thumb, the seats and cage stay together.

We're going to enjoy looking at our trucks at the next event!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aww yeah thats gonna be awesome. can't wait to see yours. when's it gonna be done and whats the first (big) trip its goin on?

he didn't say anything about tying the seats into the cage, he just said not to get 5 point harnesses without a cage

Back