Bad swaying / steering swaying back and forth. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad swaying / steering swaying back and forth.

cpljenkins01

Reaction score
City, State
bunkerhill, wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer 4x4 sport
I have a 91 explorer i am in the works of getting the steering back in line but it sways like crazy and has alot of body roll like my sway bars aint even doing anything. I have a spring over on the rear and a 5 inch lift on the front i have a bigger sway bar in the front and steering stabilizer. And it still is all over the place.

your rear springs are worn out. repace them. Also move your shock mounts out more if you can.

If it's lifted, how are your steering linkage angles? Maybe you need a bigger drop pitman arm (the linkage pulled up at an angle will cause drivability problems similar to what you describe).

Also check your rear axle bearings and shafts.
I had the same problem on mine. I replaced springs front and rear, shocks all around even added double shocks front and rear, all steering components, all bushings, and heims joints in the long arm suspension trying to find this problem.
I never thought about the rear axle shafts until I noticed that the rear seals were leaking. When I pulled the axle shafts I found that the bearings had worn a groove in the axle shaft.
When I got it back together and took it for a test drive I was surprised to find the "wobble" was gone.

Back