Bad Water Pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Water Pump?

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I think I've isolated a churning noise to the water pump. All other accessories on the serpentine are quiet. Been told that an indication of failure is seeping from the weep hole...either oil or water/coolant.

Where is the weep hole located? Seems like it would be visible from the front, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

Should be underneath the water pump, a little gap or port but it may not be leaking "yet". A good way to check to see if the bearings are worn out is to use a stethoscope (or you can use a long screw driver or wooden stick with your ear pressed to it) to hear if it working properly. You should hear a nice smooth water flowing sound if it functioning properly, if it sound like a grinding noise or chattering the bearing are worn out and it should be replaced, Even if it is not leaking. Trust me you don't want to be stuck changing it on the side of the road. (I've been there)

Thanks, Chefnate...that's how I isolated the noise...used a wooden dowel. Yeah, it's grinding away...too big a job for me so it's off to the shop and a few hundred $$, I'm guessing... :(

You bet. shouldn't be to painful on the wallet, have them do a coolant flush while you have it in. There could be some debris floating around, and coolant breaks down after time.

Back