Bad Wiper Blades? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Wiper Blades?

Well I've been taking my Aviator to a dealership in NE Nevada, about 40 miles from my home. Scary part right now is that Lincoln wanted them to create a bigger customer lounge area and they refused due to the costs involved. Lincoln pulled their dealership, don't know how that's going to go from here on in. They are part of the same dealer network as the dealer nearest me in SW Utah and have been submitting claims through that dealership. All I can do is hope it works because the next closest dealer is 60 miles away and they refused to work on the vehicle as well.
Well it looks like you have a number of independent repair shops with good Google reviews in St George. I would start calling the higher rated ones and I would hope you find one that would do it. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is very surprising that a Ford Dealer would refuse to work on your car. I suggest you contact Ford Corporate Customer Service and file a complaint with them. St. George, Utah is probably a reasonably size market for them.

Well I've been taking my Aviator to a dealership in NE Nevada, about 40 miles from my home. Scary part right now is that Lincoln wanted them to create a bigger customer lounge area and they refused due to the costs involved. Lincoln pulled their dealership, don't know how that's going to go from here on in. They are part of the same dealer network as the dealer nearest me in SW Utah and have been submitting claims through that dealership. All I can do is hope it works because the next closest dealer is 60 miles away and they refused to work on the vehicle as well.
Sounds like Lincoln pulled from the wrong dealer. Would the azzhats at that dealership also refuse to work on someone's car that was travelling or moved there? That's just wrong.

Ok - so I know some people have had luck with getting wiper blades that don’t chatter, skip, bounce, and streak but I have not been so lucky. I’ve tried everything under the sun and still had issue until……

I FOUND THE PERFECT WIPER BLADE!

Trico Sentry hybrid design

Found on clearance at Menards. Constant pressure across the entire blade length. Clean swipes and no chatter or skipping.

The above wiper worked for me as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Instead of being a solid 26" wiper frame, this wiper has two pivot points (effectively a 3-piece frame) that would seem to allow it to be more capable of contacting the windshield across the entire huge 26" length.

I tend to think the windshield may not be entirely flat (as others have theorized) so the regular blades cannot make 100% contact.

If this blade did not work, I was going to buy a shorter 24" blade to see if that would make contact with the windshield properly.

The above wiper worked for me as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Instead of being a solid 26" wiper frame, this wiper has two pivot points (effectively a 3-piece frame) that would seem to allow it to be more capable of contacting the windshield across the entire huge 26" length.

I tend to think the windshield may not be entirely flat (as others have theorized) so the regular blades cannot make 100% contact.

If this blade did not work, I was going to buy a shorter 24" blade to see if that would make contact with the windshield properly.
I tried shorter 24" high quality blades and they chatter along the bottom edge just like every other 26" blade I've tried.
I'll follow the recommendation for the TRICO Sentry blades and report back.

I tried shorter 24" high quality blades and they chatter along the bottom edge just like every other 26" blade I've tried.
I'll follow the recommendation for the TRICO Sentry blades and report back.
Did the Trico Sentry hybrid work well for you?

They arrive today or tomorrow, I'll post my results.
I went ahead and purchased the Bosch Icons and RainX in prep for the residual hurricane weather we are getting today

When the wipers are set to intermittent, they skip across the windshield, especially the driver's side.

When they are set to Low or High, they don't skip, but they fog up the windshield as they wipe.

Really pissed I went and spent so much on these wipers (which have worked wonders in my other vehicles in the past).

Hoping the Trico Sentry hybrids are the answer, but we will see from your results!

They arrive today or tomorrow, I'll post my results.
UPDATE: after a few days of use I'm pleased to report these wipers are excellent, smooth, graceful, elegant and wonderful!

TRICO Sentry
They arrived today, 15 minutes to install, actually had to read the instructions and so far they are great.
Notice the articulated design.
TRICO® Sentry | Dual-Shield® Hyrbid Technology Wiper Blades

To install:

IMG_1131(1).JPG IMG_1129(1).JPG
1664575682106.png

Update on the TRICO Sentry wipers:
Because I wanted to maximize the wipe area on the passenger side I installed a 22" (TRICO Sentry 32-220) blade in place of the 21" recommended size.
I'm pleased to report the 22" blade performs wonderfully and provides additional wipe at the top of the arc improving passenger visibility.
These wipers are the best thing to happen to my Explorer in my 12 months of ownership,

IMG_1157(1).JPG IMG_1156(1).JPG

Hi Gang
I haven't had my new ST for 2 full weeks yet, but I have had some rain storms that show some flaws in the front wipers. It's probably just less than great wiper blades, but they have left streaks and have not flopped over to pull water from the windshield at times causing a poor wipe and some noise.

I guess it's not a deal breaker, but still surprising that I might need to replace wiper blades at less than 3 weeks of ownership.

Have any of the rest of you noticed less than stellar results with your wiper blades?

John in Wisconsin
Try cleaning them with an alcohol wipe before replacing them. Car wash residue, wax or other contaminates will cause them to wipe poorly.

Try cleaning them with an alcohol wipe before replacing them. Car wash residue, wax or other contaminates will cause them to wipe poorly.
That's a great tip and I've done that before.
The issue I experienced with my Explorer is that expensive aftermarket beam style blades chatter.
The TRICO Sentry blades perform very well because they are not beam style blades.

I have to change the wiper blades on my 2010 Ford Escape XLT. I love how the wiper blade companies give you all kinds of different attachments, none of which work. I called the company and they sent me 2 new plastic parts! Great, but I have NO Clue how to get the wipers off! I saw some videos, but they didn’t help. I’m not completely helpless, but maybe in my old age i am becoming helpless. Does anyone have any pictures or a link to a site that would show me step-by-step how to do this? I don’t think I need a Yale degree to figure this out, but all my cars need wiper replacement and all of them have different wiper blade connections!!! WHY?????? Why can’t car companies make one design for every car’s wiper blades why do we need all different options?
Thanks for any help or advice.

I have to change the wiper blades on my 2010 Ford Escape XLT. I love how the wiper blade companies give you all kinds of different attachments, none of which work. I called the company and they sent me 2 new plastic parts! Great, but I have NO Clue how to get the wipers off! I saw some videos, but they didn’t help. I’m not completely helpless, but maybe in my old age i am becoming helpless. Does anyone have any pictures or a link to a site that would show me step-by-step how to do this? I don’t think I need a Yale degree to figure this out, but all my cars need wiper replacement and all of them have different wiper blade connections!!! WHY?????? Why can’t car companies make one design for every car’s wiper blades why do we need all different options?
Thanks for any help or advice.
Here's a good tutorial from Trico. How to Change 2010 Ford Escape Wiper Blades | Wiper Blades USA

Just had the drivers side replaced under warranty. It was installed in June, with routine service, and I couldn't take it any longer.

Just had the drivers side replaced under warranty. It was installed in June, with routine service, and I couldn't take it any longer.
Was the wiper installed in June chattering along the bottom half?
Was the warranty replacement an exact match or did they redesign the blade?

Back