2023 Explorer Wiper Blades smearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2023 Explorer Wiper Blades smearing

SCombine

Reaction score
City, State
Sharpsville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Ford Explorer Platin
After four return visits to the dealership, my 2023 Ford Explorer Platinum wiper blades are still smearing on the down wipe. It’s so frustrating with it being right in my line of vision when driving. Rainy days are the worst! What is going on with this as Ford is touting these new wiper blades as being new and innovative for driving in inclement weather.

“The 2023 Ford Explorer's Enhanced Wipers: Clear Vision Redefined Ford proudly introduces the 2023 Ford Explorer Wipers, a
groundbreaking advancement in vehicle visibility technology, in its quest to take your driving experience to new heights. These wipers have been painstakingly created to offer unrivaled clarity, safety, and convenience in all weather conditions thanks to cutting-edge innovation”

The Ford dealership is not having success with getting them working properly. Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder if my 22 ST had the superman wipers? I didn't make it to 2k miles before I had to change mine to aftermarket. Wife hasn't complained since so I guess it's fine now.

Have you tried wiping them with rubbing alcohol? There has to be some sort of oily residue on them. Has the dealer swapped the blades?

They have been thoroughly cleaned by myself and the dealer. The smear looks like a snake skin and is right behind the arm. Could there be too much pressure or not enough?

They have been thoroughly cleaned by myself and the dealer. The smear looks like a snake skin and is right behind the arm. Could there be too much pressure or not enough?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Could the issue perhaps be the windshield itself?

Peter

I tried everything with mine right from the jump even coating the windshield. It had a drivers side streak right off the lot. I can't stand the dealership touching my vehicles (I own my own repair shop) so I handled it myself. I did only the driver side blade for now just to compare.

This has been a problem since the 2020 came out. There's a long thread on here about it. Bosch OE blades help, but don't last all that long. My original windshield eventually got hit by a rock and was replaced with the cheap Safelite windshield. Much better wipe now (still use Bosch OE blades). It's discussed often enough that I'd say there is something up with the OEM windshields.

May seem like a silly question but... What type of washer fluid do you use? How often?

Have you tried Rain-X?

Have you tried using a razor blade with cleaning compound to clean the windshield?

I tried everything with mine right from the jump even coating the windshield. It had a drivers side streak right off the lot. I can't stand the dealership touching my vehicles (I own my own repair shop) so I handled it myself. I did only the driver side blade for now just to compare.
Did what to the driver's side blade?

Peter

Did what to the driver's side blade?

Peter
Alcohol wipes, rain x wipes and waxed the windshield when I got the truck. Issue was there from pulling it off the lot with 7 miles. My time dealing with the service department isn't worth a $10 wiper to me. These are my go to wipers...... best wipers at great price point. Last set of bosch blades I had chattered after an hour of use on my Raptor.

Screenshot_20231225_171725_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried MEK (methel ethel ketone)? It is very potent stuff. Industrial tuff. Do NOT get it on your paint. Put it on the rag and wipe. Wear gloves. I used to use it in the 80s to clean parts. Maybe that's what's wrong with me?!:dunno:

After four return visits to the dealership, my 2023 Ford Explorer Platinum wiper blades are still smearing on the down wipe. It’s so frustrating with it being right in my line of vision when driving. Rainy days are the worst! What is going on with this as Ford is touting these new wiper blades as being new and innovative for driving in inclement weather.

“The 2023 Ford Explorer's Enhanced Wipers: Clear Vision Redefined Ford proudly introduces the 2023 Ford Explorer Wipers, a
groundbreaking advancement in vehicle visibility technology, in its quest to take your driving experience to new heights. These wipers have been painstakingly created to offer unrivaled clarity, safety, and convenience in all weather conditions thanks to cutting-edge innovation”

The Ford dealership is not having success with getting them working properly. Any help would be appreciated!
I have had the same problem. I think these wipers are junk. Starting using Rain X blades. Much better.

They do seem overly sensitive to any debris on the blade. A new set was significantly better than what was on when I bought it [used].
I get the occasional smear/streak, but usually resolved by a quick wipe of the blade [obviously not easily done on the road when you need them].

The TRICO® Sentry | Dual-Shield® Hyrbid Technology Wiper Blades fixed the problem for me.
Another member suggested them and they worked for me.
And then, another member purchased some and they also worked, etc...

Here's the link to my post inside the 6-page thread on this topic.

This has been a problem since the 2020 came out. There's a long thread on here about it. Bosch OE blades help, but don't last all that long. My original windshield eventually got hit by a rock and was replaced with the cheap Safelite windshield. Much better wipe now (still use Bosch OE blades). It's discussed often enough that I'd say there is something up with the OEM windshields.
After seeing your post, I contacted the dealership and they ordered the Bosch wipers and they work great! So thankful for a clean windshield on rainy days! Thank you!!

"
drivers side streak right off the lot
Mine did that to. Just put a new set of RainX's on.
Problem solved

Thanks to those who suggested RainX. Replaced the fronts (26,22") and rear (11")--$14, $11 respectively at Walmart. They work great. I previously had Bosch Icons and feel like the RainX are better, and certainly cheaper.

Back