Balance Shaft Tensoner Parts found in pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balance Shaft Tensoner Parts found in pan

Grillmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0
A friend took their 2002 4.0 XLT into get a leaking pan seal replaced and they found "timing parts" in the pan.

I have since bought the truck and determined that the "timing parts" are the broken balance shaft tensioner. The truck has 190k on it and I was wondering what I should do. What are my best option as far as a repair? How hard is it to remove the pan to access the bolts to replace this part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That'll happen. LOL. You can either pull the front cover and cut the chain to the balance shaft, or pull the engine and drop the cradle to replace it. You sure its just the balance shaft and not the primary too? How do the secondary cassettes look?

I didn't think the shop had to pull the engine to replace the pan gasket but I could be wrong. Maybe the pan does not need to come all the way off to replace the gasket but does to replace the tensioner? I have no idea about the condition of the secondary cassettes. I have not taken anything apart.... yet.

How well do they run with the chain cut? Mine is a 4x4.

There is an upper pan and a lower pan on these things. The lower pan can come off by itself, the upper bolts to the main caps. The upper pan is also called the cradle. The cradle cant make it past the a frame or the front diff so you need to pull the engine to get it out. Of course the tensioner bolts to the block under the cradle. As for running without the chain, not sure, but since the engine came without it in 2wd and on the mustangs I cant see it being a big deal. Good thing is while you are in there you can have a look at the primary tensioner and the bottom of the front cassette and see if they are gone too.

Debating weather I pull the front cover and cut the chain and maybe replace the front tensioners or just pull the whole thing and replace all the chains and tensioners. With 190k on the engine already it's a tough call. Ford reman engine is around $3500 and also an option but would rather not invest that much in the truck if possible.

Back