Ball joint angle - welding question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint angle - welding question

JRMclemore

Reaction score
City, State
El dorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
Info: I have a 2007 mountaineer with a 3" leveling kit installed. Of course the upper control arms and ball joints are being stressed. No shocker there.

While searching between explorerforum , other 4x4 communities and several street racing sources, I can across a couple of custom car builds where the steering knuckle set the ball joint at an angle. The remedy use by both (tube style arms) was to cut, bend and weld the arm to align with the knuckle. Both did an excellent job on the modification and reported good results.

However, those were custom builds designed for street racing and likely weighed in under 2500lbs.....

With this ball joint and control arm angle issue having been discussed to death, I have not found this binding modification used on lifted trucks/SUVs.

Granted, I could be using search terms that do not match the real world, I did find only 2.

has anyone been down this road.... Attempting to bend just the end to correct ball joint angle.

Show us pictures!!

Custom UCA may be needed, people build them all the time and yes even for big heavy trucks
You may need something custom
You might also be able to convert to a high angle ball joint or a uniball /spherical bearing

Back