• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint help

Beano

Reaction score
City, State
North Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hi- i've got a 2001 explorer sport, and i hear a loud squeek whenever the front end dips and when I turn. I shook the truck while underneath it and i have located the squeak to be coming from the ball joint on the driver's side lower control arm. When comparing its outward appearance to the lower ball joint on the passenger's side, the squeaky one seems to be slightly compressed- does that combined with the noise mean that something is wrong with it? If so, then is there a way for me to fix or to replace the ball joint by myself without having to go to the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need to take it to a dealer, but unless you have access to the proper tools and the knowledge on how to replace it (or a friend that knows how) you are best off taking it to an independent repair shop to have it replaced. Most shops have the ability to do the job and it will be far cheaper than going to the dealer.

do you thiink that there is something wrong with the ball joint based on that description i gave?

ball joints go bad, its just something you have to replace eventualy. so probably, but im no expert. search the forum:thumbsup: there's a gazillion threads on ball joints

Click the link in my signature titled: How-To: Replacing Front Chassis Components for detailed instructions on this relatively easy procedure.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Back