Ball Joints or Uniballs? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints or Uniballs?

i guess i got greedy wanting that uniball on the stock spindle somehow. im just looking to push the performance from a stock component. from all of your opinions it seems like it's not even worth all the hasle. anyways i really think the dixon bros. kit should be well worth the money now. i still long for seing camburg's LT kit on an xplorer with all the works. hub conversions, and a custom 3 or 4-link rear. it would be a dream haha. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SteveG3 said:
I'm pretty sure no one here is racing in an unlimited class.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of buying things because "that's the way the big boys do it". Most people on this board have vehicles that are driven daily or at minimum very often on the street. Personally I like parts that are easy to maintain and last a long time. Heim joints and uniballs have to be removed and cleaned and rotated if you want them to last. things like that can be a pain in the butt if you don't have the right equipment. Just last week I did this the heims on my radius arms and if I didn't have a lift to do it on, it would have been a big chore.
you are right nobody here is going to be racing a big money race vehicle so ball joints are a good option, like i said before some race vehicles do use ball joints and for a fun or "pre run" type truck a ball joint is fine, but the kid was asking about strength and thats why i gave that example

you guys are right. there are unlimited cars/trucks that run balljoints. BUT.. they are not ones u can but from napa or whatever. they are all custom made per application. personally, i still think that it is really about maintence with whatever you have. balljoints need greased, so do uniballs.

looking at camburgs 6.0 kit. they use a uniball, why? well one thing that is a trade mark for camburg is the custom spindle, which they build to add track width. in doing this, they might as well set it up with the best upper joint possible. so i agian i think it comes down to if you doing a full top notch setup or a good weekend warrior kit.

I don't think you read the last few posts correctly tak. But it doesn't really matter.

Question: How does a custom spindle add width?

Question: How does a custom spindle add width?[/QUOTE]

by placing the mount of the snout furthur out. look at the 6.0 kit. it adds 1.5'' width per side. considering it uses a stock lower, the upper is relatively stock size. thus, the 1.5'' comes from the spindle that comes with the kit. allmost all LT arm kits are like this. they might be 5'' over, with 4'' longer arms and 1'' built into the new spindle.

Back