• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints

Jayster1

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
How do i get the right replacement part( left lower ball joint ) is there a difference in lower ball joints. I have a 4x4 with a lower 2 wheel drive. what is the right replacement ball joint part. And how will the auto part store know what is the right part for me. Is there any additional information they will need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do i get the right replacement part( left lower ball joint ) is there a difference in lower ball joints. I have a 4x4 with a lower 2 wheel drive. what is the right replacement ball joint part. And how will the auto part store know what is the right part for me. Is there any additional information they will need?

What exactly is a "4x4 with a lower 2 wheel drive" :confused:

Most (99.9%) 1st generation 4x4 Explorers (91-94) came with a TTB Dana 35 axle as seen in the picture below. The upper ball joint is smooth (not threaded) and held in place by a pinch bolt. The upper ball joint on a Dana 28 axle (not shown and extremely rare on an explorer) is threaded and held in place by a castle nut and cotter pin.
Camber_bushing.jpg

Ball Joint

Thanks so must for the infor on the ball joint. I guess I put some incorrect infor on the thread, but you guys are smart and figured it out. I will learn from you. Thanks!

Thank you so much!

Check out the TTB Restoration Thread for lots of info, part #s, and pics on rebuilding a Dana 35.

Dana 35
Ball joints (Moog) greasable Rockauto.com
Upper (2) K8546
Lower (2) K8563

I am now having a problem with removing the ball joint. What socket size should I be using. 6mm-12 point-1/4in drive, or (?). Is it metric or standard size sockets I should be using. The christian car shop that I brought this 1994 Explorer Limited from were having the same problem with trying to find the right socket size. Your help again would be greatly appreicated.

I am now having a problem with removing the ball joint. What socket size should I be using. 6mm-12 point-1/4in drive, or (?). Is it metric or standard size sockets I should be using. The christian car shop that I brought this 1994 Explorer Limited from were having the same problem with trying to find the right socket size. Your help again would be greatly appreicated.

My mind reading powers are not working today. :confused: You need to be more descriptive in your posts so we know Exactly what you're trying to describe.. As such which bolt/nut are you trying to remove?

Back