• Register Today It's free!

Ball Mount Drop

03exlsport

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS Sport 4DR 4X4
Did a search and did not come up with anything on this topic, interesting. Okay I have an 03 XLS Sport 4x4, what would be a good general purpose inch drop for a ball mount? I was thinking around 4". I'm not towing anything at the moment, but I would like to pick one up w/ a 2" ball and keep it inside the truck. TIA for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

You shouldn't need a drop hitch if you're at stock height.

I'm at stock height. But I have a 2wheel Ranger also and had to tow a tow-dolly with the bumper hitch(to pick up an 80 Fiat Spyder) a few months befor I bought the Explorer . The angle on the dolly was somewhat elevated and the Explorer sits a lot higher than the Ranger. I think there is a static hitch height on trailers, dollies etc. all sorts of vehicles that tow are of various heights.
That is what I thought they made drop/rise ball mounts for. By rising/dropping, you level out your tow load. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Originally posted by 03exlsport
. I think there is a static hitch height on trailers, dollies etc. all sorts of vehicles that tow are of various heights.

If you are asking if there is a "standard" hitch height - there isnt. Its arbitrary depending on the trailer frame, tires, etc.
I have a couple drops in my truck depending on the trailers Im towing. I tow an equipment trailer that needs a 2" drop. Sometimes Ill pick up a concrete buggy, and I need a 2" rise, Ive towed an ATV/Motorcycle trailer that I used the 4" drop.
Get the trailer you are going to tow and check it out, get something thats going to carry fairly level.

I solved the dilemma and just bought an adjustable one.

Back