• Register Today It's free!

Banging

movielover1

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Holly
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer Limite
Help my 94 explorer 4x4 is banging. When I shift gears it hesitates for about a sec or two then bangs into gear(forward and back). I have to replace my radius arm bushings on saturday, a mechanic said that should fix it, but I doubt it. A friend told me I should drain the tranny fluid and replace the filter as well as the rear fluid. Oh yeah from inside the cab you feel the banging on the front drivers said were the bushings need to be placed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does but not all the time

I guess I'll find out tommorrow after I change them

Just want to thank everybody for there help. Replaced the RA Bushings and the banging went away. What a pain in the ass that job is. Anyway found out the banging was. The rubber bushing (closest to the engine was completely gone). Thank god I replaced it when I did, next job is brakes and new tires. Just waiting for that government rebate check. One last question where the pittman bar comes down from the steering box, where does that connect to. I notcied the bushing there is ripped and needs to be replaced. Just not sure if it is the control arm, or the sway bar.

A 94 Explorer has a center link? I thought it would be like me 92 in which the pitman arm connects to what I call the right inner tie rod end. I thought those center links were for cars and those trucks trucks like Chevy's which seem to be designed more for comfort than durability. :hammer::hammer:

One of these days I will learn something about these trucks.

Looked up. It's the same weird thing I have. :(

Just as I was getting some hope that the 94's had a different type of steering linkage that might fit my truck...

Nope same piece of junk. You could do a steering conversion but thats kinda costly

Nope same piece of junk. You could do a steering conversion but thats kinda costly

I've been putting some thought of modifying a steering setup from a Disatro-van in there but at best that's a few years away. Chances are before that actually happens I'll have gotten bored with this truck or the cops will take it away.

Back