Bangs into 4low

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I've got a question. I've owned my EX. for about 4 months and am getting ready to actually start using 4WD. By the way, it's a '92 with the auto tranny. anyways, when I bought it 4WD and 4Low worked fine. I don't remember any funny noises or anything. Last time I put it in 4wd was probably 2 months ago when I installed the manual hubs and last time for 4Low was when I bought it to make sure it works. Now for the real info. When I push the button to put it in 4WD I hear a click and can tell it's in 4WD. Then I stop, put it in Neuatral and hit the 4Low button and it makes a pretty loud bang and drops into low. Is it normal to make a loud bang when it goes into 4low? I can guarentee you my CJ7 (which isn't really comparable but,) doesn't make these noises when I pull the stick into Low. I'm probably just being paranoid but I have no faith in this push button 4WD system. I like pulling the stick and feeling it go into gear but I do LOVE the comfort of the EX. over my CJ7 so I'll use it where it fits and if it can't make it then the CJ comes outta the gargae.

All Explorers clunck when you put them into 4-Low. Hopefully, your bang is the clunk we all experience. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the 4-Low is working.

I think it's a normal thing, and yes, it could be a clunk instead of a bang.

I also have a 92 ex,with auto tranny,mine clunks hard too.I was a little worried at first,but you might want to check the u-joints that go across the front axle,mine were shot causing louder clunk than normal.88vert Brad in Iowa

Back