Barra190 or Barra245

kmugglet

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
One for all my antipodean colleagues.

Does anyone know if the Barra engine from the falcon would fit in the explorer? From what I know its a straight six as opposed to a v6 if a v8 fits surely there can't be that much difference?

From the ford AU website

Barra 245T - 4.0L DOHC Dual Independent VCT Turbo I6 engine
245kW of power @ 5250rpm and 480Nm of torque @ 2000rpm

I've seen a spanked in XR6 Turbo Ute engine which I'm sure would make the girl lift up her petticoats and fly........

Probably cost more than she's worth though :confused:
Cheers

Keith

I think you might find the Engine bay isn’t long enough the Oldmans BF XR’s engine bay is defiantly longer than the one on the Explorer , you would also require Gearbox adaptor plates, which nobody makes as well as needing to rewire almost the entire engine bay and instrument cluster.

Your best bet would be putting a supercharger on the S.O.H.C V6 with a CAPA Kit you wont make 245KW thou

Anything is possible, Probably ring around some Custom Automotive workshops. You would also need engineering certification to register it for road use, as it’s not the original engine or a modal Optional engine.

I was going to say put in a 02-03 Tick ford 5Ltr V8 out of the XR8 as this is basically a modded 302 that is used in the Explorers, before the 4.6V8 came out. The late 02 and 03 ones were 220KW 420Nm of toque; with a new Cam and Valve sprigs +Extractors and Exhaust you would push 250Kw with it.

But then you still have the problem of rewiring the Engine bay and will the gearbox bolt straight up as the 5.0Ltr X used a different box.

Back