Ford's new turbo charged Territory breaks cover (FALCON XR6 TURBO POWERTRAIN) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford's new turbo charged Territory breaks cover (FALCON XR6 TURBO POWERTRAIN)

south59

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
Uncharted Territory

Would be nice over here, eh Mate?

Australia's best-selling soft-roader has been given a turbo boost.

Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW all sell high-performance four-wheel-drives and now Ford does, too.

Ford's Territory off-road-style wagon has added another trick to its repertoire with the unveiling of a turbocharged version at the Melbourne motor show yesterday.

The Territory Turbo is confirmation of Ford's worst kept secret, following the trickle of scant details and grainy pictures of cars undergoing testing in recent months.

With the Falcon XR6 Turbo's turbocharged 4.0-litre six-cylinder beneath its stumpy bonnet, the Territory's regular 190kW (255HP) of power has jumped 29 per cent to 245kW (330HP). Torque from the Turbo is 480Nm, providing an alternative for those chasing V8 performance. When the Territory was released in June 2004, Ford said the Falcon's 5.4-litre V8 didn't fit under its bonnet, sparking speculation of a turbo-powered Territory in the future.

All turbocharged Territorys come with the recently introduced six-speed automatic transmission, also used in various BMWs and Jaguars.

For the extra grunt of the Turbo, customers will be asked to pay a premium of $10,000AUD or so, which brings with it a smattering of added equipment, including a reversing camera.

As well as dual exhausts and 18-inch wheels and tyres (up from the 17-inchers on regular Territorys) the Territory Turbo looks different, with a bonnet scoop to feed air to the intercooler mounted on top of the engine.

Ford engineers - who say the Turbo project was more difficult than "simply slotting an engine in" - opted for a top-mounted intercooler, rather than the front-mounted one on the XR6 Turbo, to protect it from potential scrapes with nature for the handful of drivers who will actually take the wagon off-road.

"The turbo Territory project provided us with many challenges ... it was an extensive engineering project," says Trevor Worthington, Ford Australia's vice-president for product development.

"Our engineers undertook a full development program" to make the most of the turbo.

For now, all Territory Turbos are all-wheel-drive, which means they can cope with light off-road work, although Ford says most will remain in the comfy confines of suburbia.

The 18-inch tyres are claimed to provide greater cornering grip, while bigger brakes aim to more capably halt the extra performance from the two-tonne-plus vehicle. Suspension is unchanged over the regular Territory, although the electronic stability system has been recalibrated for the more powerful engine.

Fuel economy - not a strong point of the Territory - will be worse thanks to the added performance, although Ford is keeping quiet on exactly how much more owners will pay at the bowser.

On sale in June, the Territory Turbo will come in two guises - Turbo and Ghia Turbo. The Turbo is roughly based on the entry-level TX, which sells for $43,990AUD as an all-wheel-drive, so expect a price tag close to $55,000AUD.

The flagship Ghia gets all the leather trimmings as well as more electrics, pushing the price to about $65,000AUD.

Attachments

• ghia1.jpg
    ghia1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 579
  • ghia2.jpg
    ghia2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 573
  • ghia3.jpg
    ghia3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 533
  • ghia4.jpg
    ghia4.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 531

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting! Good find. Bad link though :thumbsup:

-Drew

and why dont we get these type of performsnce vehicles?

cute. It's like an Escape...on crack!

[QUOTE='97 V8]and why dont we get these type of performsnce vehicles?[/QUOTE]

Because they have no emissions laws in Australia. All the cars designed over there would never even have a chance of passing emissions here.

You can get a ford "falcon" over there (it's a four door sedan about the size of a taurus). It's got a 350 HP 5.4L V-8, 6 speed manual, rear wheel drive and leather seats, and is still a four door sedan.

If ford wanted to end it's financial troubles they would find a way to start selling stuff like that over here.

yosh18981898 said:
You can get a ford "falcon" over there (it's a four door sedan about the size of a taurus). It's got a 350 HP 5.4L V-8, 6 speed manual, rear wheel drive and leather seats, and is still a four door sedan.

Sounds like a good candidate to replace the aging Crown Vic.

Yeah I was at the chicago auto show last weekend and one of the Ford rep's said that ford might be doing away with the civilian version of the crown vic. They would still be manufactured for police and taxi use though.

They need to do something to it though. I don't see how it can compete, with it's maximum of 240 HP, against a Hemi Chrysler 300. The crown vic could still live on for a while if they put the 300 HP 4V 4.6L in it and dramatically changed the body style. However I think making the V-10 optional (you could fit at least 2 V10s under the hood of one of them things) would be the best idea.

Hey guys. Arnt i lucky to say im from Australia and a XR6 Falcon is a common sight. So much power. I dropped my explorer off for a service this morning and there was 4 of these xr6 turbos infront of me... a dream. Making you more jealous yet?

I don't want the Falcon, I would just like the motor for my Mustang, or for Ford to offer a turbo or supercharged Mustang again! I guess we'll be getting another supercharged one next year in the Shelby.

If they did bring it here, they would choke the crap out of it for emissions anyway :rolleyes:

I believe the Falcon is just a little smaller than the Crown Victoria and quite a bit bigger than the Taurus. I've been wanting a Falcon for a few years now. Nothing like a 450hp family sedan. :smoke::smoke::smoke:

emmisions smammesions who needs em. now i was thinkin.....could you go to aussie and buy one of those engines out of a wrecked falcon and bring it over and install it in your truck or mustang....good idea huh, ya i know i dont know how i do it lol.

seriously who would know?

i might try and get the engine setup out of the new falcon f6 typoon when i need to upgrade... one of the most powerful engines hope it fits into my explorer!!! when that day come ill reverse all my mods and make it lower to the ground... so it wont roll as easy!!!

the territory turbo is about the same price as a V6 xlt explorer

lucky australians. I would die for a turbo anything. EVO here i come till ford pulls its head out of its ass and builds something GOOD.

Ford has gone down the poop tube since Little Billy Ford took it back over. At least Jack Nassir brought us cool, fast cars with good looks and styling.

chriswells78 said:
cute. It's like an Escape...on crack!
the new escape exterior will look like a small territory

[QUOTE='97 V8]and why dont we get these type of performsnce vehicles?[/QUOTE]
We do, home grown, pack up a pair of levis and some undies.
Go drive a jeep SRT8, nothing in it's class can touch it.

yosh18981898 said:
Because they have no emissions laws in Australia. All the cars designed over there would never even have a chance of passing emissions here.

dont bet on it
we do have emission laws here based on european emission standard at the moment new cars must be better than
EURO 3 for petrol
EURO 4 for deisel
i have no idea how that compares with the USA
they do not check emmissions for cars when you go for a rego check every year

the new 3.6 V6 GM motors are built here and exported every where including USA and they pass your emissions laws

Back