• Register Today It's free!

Batteries and Tops and Whatnot

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
So I've noticed that even without the subwoofer and amp hooked up, when bass hits in my truck the head unit's LCD flickers. I'd imagine my lights will as well, and with the subwoofer and amp hooked up it'll be even worse.

Would getting a new battery help? More than likely its the original battery. If so, would getting one of those Optima Yellowtops or Redtops help more or less? Or any other brand suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You say there is dimming when you DO NOT have the sub and its amp hooked up? Are your door speakers amped or running of the headunit? I had my Pioneer headunit pushing the door speakers and 2 10's running 400W rms and had VERY little flickering or dimming of the lights when the bass hit. This was all with the stock alternator and battery. If you got dimming going on now, I would check out the alternator.

They're just running off the HU. I'm not sure if the lights dim, but I know the LCD on the front of the head unit does. So I'd imagine anything drawing power off it would as well.

I'd do the usual power and ground wire upgrades up front first. Batt ground, alt/engine block ground, and alt power wire at least 4 awg.

Night time now, so I went out and looked. It's just the screen that dims. Can't explain it, maybe that's just how it was designed. I'm gonna call crutchfield about it tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe I shoulda got the Alpine HU afterall :confused:

my lights were dimming bad with four 12s and i got a new batt and it drasticly improved

A battery might help. It may just be the bass is pulling that much power to dim the HU display.

Back