Battery cable replacement questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery cable replacement questions

musebemused

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mercury mountaineer
So I've read tons of battery cable threads but can't find an answer to my questions, so hopefully someone can help me.

1.) I have a 2000 Mountaineer that has aftermarket battery cables that have been butchered. The negative cable is super short, and there is no more length to strip it down to get a better connection, so that has to go. I found a 4 gauge 72" battery cable on autozone that I think might do the trick. It can always be cut down if it's super long, right? It's hard to see where the cable hooks up to the frame, and my hayne's guide is no real help since it gives me 3 different options. I can't go out to look as it's raining and I might melt, but even then I've tried to look below where the cable disappears and I have no real way of knowing if a 42 or 45" cable is enough or if I should spring for the longer one. Also, the shorter cables are all 2 gauge, not 4.

2.) If I purchase the 4 gauge wire, do I have to replace the positive cable to also be 4 gauge, ie do the gauges have to match?

3.) Autozone doesn't specify on their descriptions if a cable is positive or negative, so I assume the cables themselves are interchangeable (meaning made out of the same stuff internally) and I can just buy a black battery cable that is also 4 gauge if I want to replace the positive cable too? On a couple they have descriptions listed as 'battery to switch' (I'm assuming positive?) and 'battery to ground' (assuming negative?), but the others they just say 'top post' so no clue what that means... I also noticed the positive cables have more extensions, I'm assuming for the different parts it needs to be connected to, so that would answer my question that they are not interchangeable...?

4.) When replacing one cable, should I replace the other one too as good practice? The current positive cable is red, is long enough, and does seem to be in better shape than the negative one, but they are both old and look like they've seen some abuse. The terminals are always corroded and need constant cleaning.

I'm having a guy come out and do the repairs for me since I'm a not mechanically inclined tiny female with barely proper tools, however I do want to know what's what and what he'll be doing, and how to get the best deal on it.

Thank you!

The cables are the same electrically. If they have the terminal ends on them, the negative is typically a slightly smaller lug, but often the terminals are the same.

The gauges don’t have to match, as long as they are all sufficient. the factory wire gauge might be larger than 4awg. Don’t downsize the wire.

The cables are the same electrically. If they have the terminal ends on them, the negative is typically a slightly smaller lug, but often the terminals are the same.

The gauges don’t have to match, as long as they are all sufficient. the factory wire gauge might be larger than 4awg. Don’t downsize the wire.
Thank you! I will stick with 2 gauge then, the original negative wire is much thicker than the positive. I appreciate the help!

Back