Battery cable size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery cable size?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hi, does anyone know what the battery cable size is on second gens? I'm trying to add compression lugs and I see they fit 2/0 gauge cable. I've looked everywhere but can't find this info. Thanks for any help.

For anyone who has this question in the future.

I went ahead and purchased the 2/0 gauge compression lugs and they fit well on my stock cables. It looks like the postive side cables are 2/0 gauge and 1/0 gauge. While the ground cables are 2/0 gauge and the cable that grounds to the body is way smaller, something like 8 gauge. They all accepted the compression lugs and fit very well, and aren't loose at all. I had to strip twice the recommended length off the chassis ground cable and then fold it, in order for it to fit snug inside the lug, but it worked fine. New terminals and a new battery make a huge difference :thumbsup:

080599E0-5833-417C-9C81-0042F6A196CF.jpg

90AFF4DB-624F-4E0F-A474-880AFE74A889.jpg

4CFC422F-63CC-44D8-9DAC-AD645E5CDD36.jpg

Not sure what size, but I bought a kit from Summit Racing a few years back with no problems to date.

Not sure what size, but I bought a kit from Summit Racing a few years back with no problems to date.

Guess I'll just have to see if it fits. I read a review from someone who used the terminals on their third gen, so I should be ok as long as Ford didn't suddenly change the cable sizes between the two models.

Back