Battery drain and Radio clock stays on . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drain and Radio clock stays on .

Bigred22769

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte ,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer sport
I just bought a 99 Explorer sport 4.0L /4WD .Auto
The battery dies in @ 6 hrs . I checked voltage with truck running at battery voltage was 13.6-14.2Volts . when i shut it off the clock on the radio stays on for a while and then will shut off for 5 sec or so and then comes right back on it will do this all night off on off on .
Any idea where to start would be a great help .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the radio does draw power when your car is off. the radio has a yellow wire behind that draws power constantly to run the clock (otherwise you would have to reset it every time you start it) and to remember your presets.
are you sating the display stays on? if so sounds like an internal radio problem..

Can the radio turn on? And can you turn the wipers on in that state?
Sounds like it's stuck in Accessory mode.

Radio doesn't turn on and nothing else works I understand radio has constant power .I've just never seen one turn on and off on its own .I Will have to charge battery and check fuses and see whats got power and what doesn't.
I guess I need to find a wiring diagram and go from there .

red is power yellow is constant power black is ground.. maybe your red is shorted out somewhere behind your dash

free wiring diagrams:
I would recommend getting your specific model wiring diagram. You can find one at http://search.ebscohost.com/. Use RRCC and rebsco when signing in.

i may be way off base here, but does anyone think it might be a GEM problem?

What is GEM ?

could it be a relay?

gem is the "computer," pretty sure anyway..... lol it goes by many names it seems.

ok so I googled it, "General Electronic Module." Does this differ from a PCM or ECM.

ECM = Electronic Control Module

ECM = Engine Control Module

PCM = Power Control Module and likely more..

Has everyone managed to keep from clicking on the computer generated bouncing boobies ad? ahaha

I downloaded wiring diagrams for it and will start on it tomorrow after work .
It runs fine when its jump started , No issues and no codes ,Headlight switch is missing knob and is loose in dash .

Yes they are very different. Here is a pic of where the Gem is located behind the radio.
20130316_174623.jpg

the GEM (General Electrical Module) is not the ECU, nor is it in the ECU. as pictured, it is found in/near the radio opening. it controls a lot of stuff and they do go bad.

it appears you have an aftermarket radio and perhaps an aftermarket AMP. make sure they are wired correctly. i've never heard of a stock radio behaving the way you describe. it seems like power is back-feeding through a relay somewhere.

yeah my guess is with the aftermarket radio you didnt wire your power correctly.. how is your "remote lead" wired from your amp? the tiny blue wire that gets power when your radio or car does. what did you or the shop tap into for that? with car off does your amp turn on? can you see any lights on it?

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, also I'm thinking he has the stock radio.. He hasn't mentioned an aftermarket one, the picture was an example of GEM location.

Stock Radio everything is factory Nothing has been changed .battery has been charged and i will start checking things out .
I did find the auto headlight wires disconnected from the mirror.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, also I'm thinking he has the stock radio.. He hasn't mentioned an aftermarket one, the picture was an example of GEM location.

yeah, i brain farted on that one. i was thinking that was a pic of the OP's dash.

Ok checked some stuff out. I'm getting a lot of draw from fuse 29 radio i pulled it and voltage seems to go up so i have it out for now .I need to get a release tool to remove radio and check wiring .I have checked all fuses and found 1,5,9,13,17,18,21,22,25,26,29,30,34,36, Hot all the time
I also voltage measured at the battery it's staying at a constant 14.09 to 14.6 volts not dropping below that ran it for about 1 hr and it was down to 14.09 volts . Anybody know what amp alternator i have not sure which it is i see two listed at most parts stores 95amp and 130 amps .i will have battery and alt checked to rule out both.I'm thinking alt maybe over charging battery and that's why it wont hold charge for long .
I Removed radio fuse and 6 hrs later it started on its own so that has helped .

I made my own tool by cutting up a metal coat hanger... Basically make 2 horse shoe looking things.. Search how or look up what the tool looks like and you will get the idea how to make your own... Or buy the tool... It's not much but I didn't want to wait...

Ok checked some stuff out. I'm getting a lot of draw from fuse 29 radio i pulled it and voltage seems to go up so i have it out for now .I need to get a release tool to remove radio and check wiring .I have checked all fuses and found 1,5,9,13,17,18,21,22,25,26,29,30,34,36, Hot all the time
I also voltage measured at the battery it's staying at a constant 14.09 to 14.6 volts not dropping below that ran it for about 1 hr and it was down to 14.09 volts . Anybody know what amp alternator i have not sure which it is i see two listed at most parts stores 95amp and 130 amps .i will have battery and alt checked to rule out both.I'm thinking alt maybe over charging battery and that's why it wont hold charge for long .
I Removed radio fuse and 6 hrs later it started on its own so that has helped .

i believe you should have the 130 amp alternator. battery voltage of 14+ with engine off does sound high. i believe 12-13 volts would be normal for a fully charged battery, but you should get your battery load tested. volts are only half the story.

well the radio does draw power when your car is off. the radio has a yellow wire behind that draws power constantly to run the clock (otherwise you would have to reset it every time you start it) and to remember your presets.
are you sating the display stays on? if so sounds like an internal radio problem..[/QUOTE]

I think pbnj is on the right track. Radio should not turn itself on/off - if it is, that could be drawing down your battery. While it's true that the radio pulls a very small amound of current to keep clock and presets - that would take weeks to run down battery. I would pull out radio and see if problem goes away; if it does, then that probably means another radio is the best solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sating the display stays on? if so sounds like an internal radio problem..[/QUOTE]

I think pbnj is on the right track. Radio should not turn itself on/off - if it is, that could be drawing down your battery. While it's true that the radio pulls a very small amound of current to keep clock and presets - that would take weeks to run down battery. I would pull out radio and see if problem goes away; if it does, then that probably means another radio is the best solution.

yeah i would guess radio is bad or wiring behind radio but he said it was all factory so no one should have messed with the wires.. but it is possible something could be shorting out back there

Back