BATTERY DRAIN-CAR ALARM GOES OFF/INTERIOR LIGHTS STAY ON | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BATTERY DRAIN-CAR ALARM GOES OFF/INTERIOR LIGHTS STAY ON

gearhead95

Reaction score
City, State
Fernandina Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mercury Mountaineer P
I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier. The problem I'm having is that recently the car alarm has been going off quite frequently and its now to the point that I have to unhook the battery just to keep it from being drained which is what has happened twice already. Another problem I've been having as that the interior lights never turn off when the door closes. Now I'm not sure if these two problems are tied together although I'm more inclined to think so with the fact in mind that they happened at the same time. Also it should be noted that the battery is brand new and I've not had any problems with it prior this these events. I've already taken the driver door panel off and tried to see if maybe some wires might have been cut, but I honestly don't see anything wrong. I also forgot to mention, but the rear lift gate stopped working a couple years back. The actually switch still engages, but the lift gate doesn't open at all. Just thought I'd throw that out there to see if it might matter. All in all, I'm mainly trying to find a cheat sheet to see if the problem with the alarm going off and the lights staying on might me in one of the fuse boxes either under the hood of the car or under the driver steering wheel. Thanks and guys for the help in advance.

The issue might be one or more of your door ajar switches are broken. You could try rotate the dimmer all the way down to turn off the lights when you close it. Does it show liftgate open on the message center?

The issue might be one or more of your door ajar switches are broken. You could try rotate the dimmer all the way down to turn off the lights when you close it. Does it show liftgate open on the message center?
I've already tried to rotate the dimmer all the way down to turn the lights off and it works, but its only a temporary fit. To my knowledge I haven't seen a liftgate message at all.

Back