Door ajar wont turn off now everything going wrong | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar wont turn off now everything going wrong

cherylea1

Reaction score
City, State
Charlton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer
Hi I have a 04 Explorer
For the last 3 weeks my door ajar light wont go off, also my brake lights keep staying on (and manually have to hit brake pedal after shut off to turn off) as well as ABS light occasionally keeps appearing and disapearing.

My battery now seems to be failing bc the interior lights were always on bc it thinks door is ajar (which it's not) I changed out the door switch to the drivers door also greased the hinges and such before changing (this is the problem door) nothing changed, still same problems. So I took out interior lights so it stops draining battery and yet my battery is acting up now.

Didn't start for me yesterday morning so I jumped it, last week I charged my battery for 3 hours hooked up to battery charger while working. Battery was great for couple days and seems to keep draining for some reason.

Still have door ajar light on and cant figure out what problem is.. Please Help!! Thanks in advance -Cheryl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also forgot to mention, starting last night in my driveway letting my car run a bit to see if it would charge up, now it smells bad of rotten eggs. Is this from the battery being junk? Smells just in idle also while driving

Check for broken wires in the door flex joint. Drivers first then the passenger side.

If it's the original battery you are WAY overdue for replacement. Start by having it tested and check all connections.

as far as the door ajar problem goes, i would spray the crap out of all doors at the striker with some wd40 or other suitable lubricant. i had the same problem with mine thinking it was the driver's side only to find out later that it's the passenger side causing the problem.

Don't assume it is the driver's door. The door ajar switch on the passenger door can cause all these problems. See my post 8/31/13 jiggle test. Catlin

Back