Battery drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drain

gambri

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer limited v8
Hi all. First of all excuse my english, it´s not my 1st language:)

I have a 2003 Explorer limited. Few weeks ago I started to have a problem with the battery cause it was dead in the mornings. I was advised to replace the battery so I bought a new one. But after a few days the new battery was allso dead.

I took it to a local garage and they found out that the battery is constantly draining 0,9 amp.

When I pull out fuse no 3 in the cabin the drain drops to 0,2 amp. Fuse no 3 is for audio, subwoofer and DVD

Has anyone had a simmular problem? Cause I´ve been searching the Internet and haven´t found this kind of electrical drain.

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed? If so, I'd start there by disconnecting any of it and see if the drain stops.

Yes, there is a remote start. I´ve pulled out the fuses for it and no change. The dvd player is not aftermarket.

If you post what vehicle we're dealing with some people may be able to give more specific information. Year and model. Don't say "Explorer" because of course it is. Be more specific.

Some things I've seen in general with Ford DVD players is that they will fail to "fall asleep" which causes a battery drain. If you are technically skilled then disconnect the DVD player and retest for the battery drain. If it is gone then the DVD player is at fault. If you can isolate in this way then either take it to the dealership and tell them what you have found so they can replace the DVD player, or, replace it yourself. Depends on what your situation is. Out of warranty it may be cheaper to do it yourself. But in warranty or if you are not technical, then have the dealership do it.
Good luck.

Hi again, thanks for the response. Well my Explorer is 2003 model, 4,6 V8 limited. After work I will try to disconnect the DVD player and see if it is draining my battery. Any ideas how to do that? Is there a plug on the backside of the radio or will I have to find another wire in the top where the player is located? Hope you understand what i´m trying to say :)

Another thing, could it be that the radio itself in Explorers are draining the battery. Has someone heard of that?

I would just like to mention this because it happen to me. Two pennies fell into my cigarette lighter causing the battery to die over night. I Found it by chance when I went to pull to radio out. It's worth the time to look for the easy stuff first. Good Luck!

The drain stopped when I disconnected the in stock (not aftermarket) DVD-player. Now the problem is how to find out why the DVD-player was draining the battery. Did not see any obvious reasons for it.

Back