Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Callsign
KD9OWX
i will give you the story so that maybe you can figure out what the heck happend. i got the opportunity to pop the cherry on my new 33's and lift. (this place was awesome, it had hill climb just to get in, mud pits... everything but rock crawling) anyway. right off the start we hit some mud pits, and the jeep i was with told me to go first so he wouldnt steal all the mud, and so i did and i gave it a good amount of gas in 4-hi so i wouldnt bog down, and i must have hit a rock or sumthin because i bottomed out and the truck bucked and the jeep behind me said my rear tires came off the ground. nothing sounded funny, but my battery light came on. i continued to wheel and it eventually went on and off and then completely off, untill i left temporarily to pick some guys up(also and campfire party thing goin on) and when i went down the hill climb to leave, the light went back on and wouldnt go off. 3 miles down the road and back the light stayed on. i was running my brights and my tv (no subs) and after the hill climb with 6 or 7 people in the car i stopped at the fire, (>>important part<<) and noticed my battery level was on the bottom line but not red. i left it runing to try and charge the battery and i left to drop the kids off at the gas station and i got back and it hadnt dropped but i left after that (jeep blew his clutch, and the ranger helped him out) on the way home (30 miles) the battery indicator got lower and lower. bout 10 miles from home i'm goin down a str8 road with stop lights and i have to stop at one and the abs light goes on, and then the rpm's drop to 0. truck is still running tho. further down the road the air bag light goes on, and further down the check guage goes on and then goes off another light that i forgot went on and then the speedo turned off and dropped to 0. i make a turn and it starts sputtering, so i pull into a fire station( nearest parking lot) and my buddy and i try to figure out the problem. everything looks good.(muddy but good) i check the intake and its clean on the inside, battery is connected good and alternator seems to be hooked up good. amp wires are taped off and not harmed. ground wire for the battery good. then the buddy with the ranger showed up and attaches jumper cables and charges my battery.half hour later we give it a go, and it starts up and i head home with the ranger entail just in case. about a mile or 2 down the road i look down and my battery level is back to normal, and i turn my interior lights back up and they are bright green again and the truck is runing fine and charging the battery. so the alternator is good, and the battery is good, but i'm afraid if i hit a good bump its gonna do it again, and i need to figure this out cuz its my daily driver. thanks ahead of time for any responses. and sry this is long and drags on i just got home at 3:30 am and had to explain to my dad what happend. but it was the most amazing experience driving ever. and i kept right up with the jeep on 33's with the 4inch lift and winch and other goodies. i finaly made some off road frends. :) and for some reason i couldnt post last night.. but here it is now.

Sounds like you have a serious short somewhere to me. I'd check the wires going to and on your starter first. Double check the power wire all the way down to the starter. Check your wiring harness good from your alt. and starter to see it doesn't have a rub or burn. Clean and check battery terminals. Good luck!
Peace

Back