battery gauge all over place at stoplight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery gauge all over place at stoplight

killr12002

Reaction score
City, State
MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. I never had a problem until the other day, when at stoplight, battery gauge was all over place, truck started bucking, and temperature gauge showed running hot!!! Tonight coming home from work, at stoplight, car died as temperature needle was at hot, but it started to make it home!!! Do i need a bigger battery, or is it alternator? or something else???

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. I never had a problem until the other day, when at stoplight, battery gauge was all over place, truck started bucking, and temperature gauge showed running hot!!! Tonight coming home from work, at stoplight, car died as temperature needle was at hot, but it started to make it home!!! Do i need a bigger battery, or is it alternator? or something else???

You need to address the overheating issue before you worry about an alternator.

There is also a misfire prob due to the overheating therefore causing the battery gauge to jump around.

The biggest piece of advice I got from a mechanic to a long living 4.0, don't let it get hot.

Back