Battery heat shield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery heat shield

Reaction score
City, State
Carthage, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I just replaced the battery on my 02 Ex. There is a heat shield that the factory puts over the battery. The original battery was maintenance free with no way to check or add water. The replacement battery has removable vents so I can check the water level. The problem is that if I put the heat shield back on, I can't get to the vent caps. To remove the heat shield, you have to disconnect the cables.
So I left the heat shield off for now. Does anybody have any thoughts on if the heat shield is really needed or not? I have considered modifying the heat shield so it can be used and still allow access to the battery vents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Non issue

Good question

I just went through this. I put a new battery in and put the factory cover on, but I was not sure what the point of it is. Is it for heat, or is it safety (liability) against exploding batteries?

I am not sure of the reason the factory put it on. In the parts list, they call it "Heat shield". My other car, 01 Mercury Grand Marquis has the same engine and same battery, it did not have a cover when I bought it but not sure if a previous owner took it off or not.

Heat is always an issue with batteries. But its more important to get to the caps to check the water level often. IF you can mod it that would be even better but not a # 1 priority IMHO.

Back