battery keeps dying, but checks out ok. would big 3 fix? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery keeps dying, but checks out ok. would big 3 fix?

conig

Reaction score
City, State
tallahassee fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 v8 xlt.
I am having an issue with my 2005. about once a week the battery has drained down enough that is will not start.

I have had the alternator and battery checked out and both check out ok.the battery is an optima redtop.

I have removed all accesories one at a time for about a week each to see if they could be causing a drain. They are not the problem.

The dealer did have the motor out to replaced a head for me and I am thinking the engine ground may be off. Every ground I can find feels tight.

would beafing up my grounds help me out? I have intended to do the big 3 anyway so this seems like as good a time as any if its an engine ground issue. I have not found were the engine ground mounts at the block.

I'd put an ammeter on it to verify current draw, and how much. Then if there is very little or no current draw, the battery would possibly be the culprit.

Another issue could be a sticking relay too.

I had a similiar problem. My battery would die, but never at the same intereval. sometime overnight, sometimes a week. Everything checkred out ok. Sometimes I checked it with a meter and it would be high. Other times it would be normal. I made a test light, and pulled fuses to see what it was. Nothing showed up. I replaced several parts. Still the same. I finally thought I would take the radio out. I found a penny down in the cigarette lighter. Which explanied the sometimes it showed uyp and sometimes it didn't from moving around. Thats all I can offer you. But you never know worth a look to see if somethings falling into your cell phones/ipod sockets.

Back