• Register Today It's free!

BBK TB adjust screw

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I installed the BBK TB yesterday and it says to unplug the IAC and set the idle at 500 by adjusting the screw. It wouldn't start with it disconnected. When it was connected without any adjustments it idled at the right rpm, just a little rough. So I adjusted the screw to open the TB a little and after a few tries with the IAC unplugged I got it at 500. But now with the IAC connected it idles a little higher and rougher than before. Should I just set the screw back and say screw it? Maybe the IAC is bad?

Is it me or would it be a little hard to turn the screw with the engine on? I had to swing the screw towards me by opening the TB fully and then use pliers... hopefully I'm twisting the right screw :)

Also, there was a plastic bushing that they wanted installed. The old TB didn't have one but I put it in there, hopefully not upside down or something. The
instructions (PDF format) have a note about a special part being needed on some models. I assume this doesn't apply to 1994's.

Someone in a past message, Alec I think, said the computer should be reset when a new TB is installed. I had the battery disconnected when installing this, but I still have my radio settings so maybe it wasn't reset. I'm going to leave it disconnected over night and see how it is in the morning. And lastly... I installed the Apten chip after the TB, but before I started adjusting the screw.

Edit: Changing all the TPS' to IAC's in the message, thanks Limited Ex :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not supposed to disconnect the TPS, you have to unplug the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve once you get everything installed and connected :)
When you unplug the IAC, you have to start the vehicle and then adjust the throttle screw so it is idling around 500. But, you may have to do like I did and adjust the screw to where it opens the throttle plate enough to allow the engine to start with the IAC unplugged. Then you just adjust once the engine fires up. Hope this helps any!

Edit: Oh and about adjusting the screw, you can slide an allen wrench inside it to adjust it, no pliers necessary!

Too many acronyms for me... whenever I said I unplugged the TPS I definately meant the IAC. I tried a couple allen wrenches but I guess I didn't have the right size.

lol, yeah I know what you mean! Was it the negative battery cable that you disconnected? I think its around 15 or 45 minutes for that cable to be disconnected for the computer to be reset.

The installation went pretty quick, the negative was probably disconnected about 30 mins, maybe more.

Back