Beginners questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beginners questions

cherylj

Reaction score
We'd love to to join in something like the Moab trip in May but we're beginners to this and have alot of questions. Since this seems to be the place to get them answered, here we go!
First, what's the best way to get started with something like this? Our Explorer isn't really stock anymore (see profile) but we didn't do the mods with off-roading in mind. At first, we were mostly chasing the elusive 45-65 mph vibration (it's gone now) and then realized we had a truck that looked pretty cool. Now that we've seen this site we're definitely interested in doing some off roading. There's not much around here that we know of so we're willing to drive to find something. Is there someone who'd be willing to meet up with us somewhere to show us a little bit of what our truck can do? Are there any Explorer groups in our area that could maybe help us out? It's a daily driver right now with mainly highway miles but it will probably be retired to pleasure use in the next couple of years. Then maybe some more serious mods! Dead Link Removed For now, it's got the stock wheels with Goodyear Wrangler Aquatreds. (They're great in the MN snow!) Should we have steel wheels with heavier tires? Or will these work ok to start?

Like we said, lots of questions...

------------------
Rick & Cheryl J.
'94 XLT 4x4
Custom 2" lift, Rancho 5000s
Borla exhaust, over-size sway bars
More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, first off, when you go wheeling, I would disconnect the sway bar. It is amazing what a difference It makes. Also, the wheels are fine, but the tires probably are not aggresive enough for off road use. Being in AZ, I dont see many aquatreads, so I maight be wrong. Your best bet is to get out with a gang that willing to help you out and guide a bit. Then you can see what others have done and learn what works and what doesnt. You would be surprised as to what you can do stock, and even more with what you already have done.

Steven

Stock 94 XLT 4x4

Cheryl,

As long as your vehicle has ANY tire on it, you can do SOME kind of wheelin. And you don't have to have steel wheels. Of course in the future, if you have taller and more aggressive tires, which will require wider wheels, you can go on more severe trails. But you can have a lot of fun right now with what you have.

If you're interested, a few of us will be getting together on Feb. 19&20 at the Tuttle Creek ORV(Off Road Vehicle) Area just north of Manhattan, KS. It's not exactly down the street from you guys, but you're more than welcome to come on down for some wheelin with fellow Explorer owners on a good mixture of trails, from mild to wild. You can pick and choose what sort of trails suit your rig and experience level the best. We will be having a number of stock or near stock vehicles present so you won't be alone with a group of heavily modified vehicles. There will be a few rigs present that are heavily modified, so you can see that end of the spectrum, which would possibly give you ideas for the future for your own rig.

You can check out the thread on this forum under HEARTLAND RUN-KANSAS for more info.

If you can't make it to Tuttle Creek, then maybe we will see you at Moab in May.

DOGMAN

Well I'm a little down the road from you also
but would love it if a group would like to get together on ND or MN somewhere. I hear that there's an ok 4X4 park near Detroit Lakes that's moderately challenging. I have a 91 XLT that's fairly stock and I've taken it through some nice ND marshland hunting with no problems, just remember go in a group
and bring 100' or so of tow straps(a winch is nice too). Anyone else in ND, SD, MN out there who wants to give her a whirl?

We were thinking the Tuttle Creek get-together might work but we're going to be on our way to Florida that weekend and it would be a little out of the way. Besides, we'll have the wrong vehicle: Rick's new 2000 F350 Super Duty! It's a 4x4 but not ready for off-roading yet. We'd definitely like to connect with some other Explorers who know the trails and can give us some pointers though.
ND Explorer - Hopefully we can find some more people around here! We'd be interested in hearing more about the Detroit Lakes site.

------------------
Rick & Cheryl J.
'94 XLT 4x4
Custom 2" lift, Rancho 5000s
Borla exhaust, over-size sway bars
More to come!

Back