• Register Today It's free!

Bellingham roads/trails

DeerSlayer

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
Anyone know of any "tame" off roading around Bham. I'm looking for something fun but I CAN'T destroy my rig, its all I got and can afford. It's a pretty much stock 93 Explorer with a good set of tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hate to say this or discourage you in any way... but, and im talking from experience here: if you cant afford to go wheeling dont.... it is expensive and i have been left a couple times without a vehicle because of it.... honestly, if you want to wheel, you need to build up your truck or get a spare vehicle to drive when your truck gets broken.....

jimabena74 said:
hate to say this or discourage you in any way... but, and im talking from experience here: if you cant afford to go wheeling dont.... it is expensive and i have been left a couple times without a vehicle because of it.... honestly, if you want to wheel, you need to build up your truck or get a spare vehicle to drive when your truck gets broken.....

Yes but you beat the crap out of your last X. And we've seen how you drive!

Deerslayer don't let him discourage you. Sorry I can't help on the where to wheel have you tried searching the net?

my point i am making is if you are worried about scratches dont 4wheel.... there is no one here or on any offroad oriented site that can say they actually went 4 wheeling and didnt suffer any damage whatsoever in a stock vehicle.....

also beating the crap out of your truck and driving agressively has nothing to do with it... yeah i drove hard when i went to thaven, didnt break anything.. however a year later going up a pretty much a molehill, i rolled my truck doing 2 mph.... when it comes to offroading in general you have to realize their might be consequences.....

I am an avid Dual Sport Rider and have riden all over Washington State so I know a few places but I'm looking for something I can go out and get to in under an hour with my Ex instead of my bike.

As for that, I am speaking pretty loosly when I say off roading. I'm looking for something you'd never take a car on. I don't want to proove my cars ability, you guys do that enough on this board just fine. And I know what off road travel does to a machine and how keeping within my machines abilities have always allowed me to have fun and still be able to drive home at the end of the day (even If I am towing a friend who screwed up)

Sorry, don't know about that area. You'd think there would be something.

Most of the North Sound folks go to Reiter near Sultan. Snowexploder, Arsoul and DiffWackDaddy know it best.

Dreamr and I are Explorering (pun intended) around Cle Elum http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134709 preparing for NWX gathering later this summer. There will be trails for all abilities.

Sweet I've riding up there many times. You should look south of I90 aswell You CAN ride/Drive from Tocoma Pass all the way to Mantastash (Yakima or Elensburg depending if you look south or north)

We ARE working our way south ;) You're welcome to join us :confused:

Maybe its my confusion I thought You guys were North of I 90 by Lake Cle Elum. I think I just a bit to specific. If you haven't already The Cle Elum Ranger Station has an AWESOME Color Topo Map of the whole region. Very Detailed and easy to read, I think it was 4-7 bucks. I Think I might Try to meet you guys out there this summer. I'll Keep my eye on that Thread.

We were North. We want to get into Gallagher Head Lake for some fishing but I may be able to talk Bryce into trying the Manastash ridge area on Memorial weekend.

You can download the maps from their web site and print them out yourself. I have talked to Ranger Mikki Douglas a couple times.

We will be trying as many of the 300's, 600's and 900's 'Easy' trails as we have time for before trying to get the NWX's together and provide our Explorer ratings to them. Some are already rated and beyond our 'no body damage' ability.

you might want to try out tward Mt. Baker area. I went snowboarding up there alot this year and saw numerous side roads. might be worth a shot.

The roads up toward Twin lakes and the FS road that continues up past Nooksack falls (forget the name) have a few interesting areas. I ripped a caliper off on my vw on the former and cracked the frame on the later. We didn't spend much time up there last year with the explorer, but have explored the area quite extensively in previous years on foot. Most of the actual National forest has only a little in the form of 4x4 fun but is my favorite part of the cascades for backcountry travel!

Red and Black Mountains are interlaced with a lot of old logging roads that look to be interesting as well, but I personally have not traveled them as I got leary in the VW and stayed closer to home (darrington/verlot) last year in my truck. If you plan on doing any camping in the area bear precautions are neccessary in all areas. I have wandered most of the Mountain trails and driven a good portion of the roads between the Canadian border and I-90. There is more Bear sign in the Mount Baker area than any other part of the Cascades. I grew up in Grizzly country and know bear habits well, so no I wasn't mistaken. If your anywhere around there keep your food secured and in a tree as well as taking reasonable precautions. Don't let me spook you though, because it is the most beautiful section of the Cascades IMO, and bears are wonderful creatures. However they can be scary as hell at 3 A.M. when they find your food :D

dreamr said:
There is more Bear sign in the Mount Baker area than any other part of the Cascades. I grew up in Grizzly country and know bear habits well, so no I wasn't mistaken. If your anywhere around there keep your food secured and in a tree as well as taking reasonable precautions. Don't let me spook you though, because it is the most beautiful section of the Cascades IMO, and bears are wonderful creatures. However they can be scary as hell at 3 A.M. when they find your food :D

yeah, was out camping few weeks back. passed out in front of a fire....package of brats and chicken left out.....but they didnt bother us one bit...i was suprised as this happened 2 nights in a row and nothing. this just outside of darington in the mt.baker/snoqualmie national forest up by Buck Creak.

ThirteenthCurve said:
yeah, was out camping few weeks back. passed out in front of a fire....package of brats and chicken left out.....but they didnt bother us one bit...i was suprised as this happened 2 nights in a row and nothing. this just outside of darington in the mt.baker/snoqualmie national forest up by Buck Creak.

There really is not that much Bear activity in the area of Darrington/Verlot with the exception of the Upper reaches of the Boulder River Wilderness. Well and Cuthroat/Ashland lakes, but that is seasonal usually.

Whatcom County (Mt. Baker) is an entirely different story. But then again sometimes you are never bothered there either. But why take the chance in active bear country ;)

Back