• Register Today It's free!

4x4 trails near Yellowstone?

ford norseman

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
The wife and I are considering a road trip to Yellowstone. We'll be taking her DD, a 2002 4x4 eddie bauer explorer. It has the 4.6L v8, 3.73 gears, stock LS rear and some nice new Hankook atm rf10 all-terrain tires. It is set up pretty well from Ford, but it is basically a stock suv.
I am wondering if anybody knows of any scenic 4x4 trails, logging roads or dirt roads in that area. Because the thing is stock and we have to drive it back to MN, I'm looking for some pretty tame terrain. We would just like to see some places that the ordinary mini-van vacationers can't.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ITs a National Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay on the designated roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT a place to offroad, unless you like looking out from behind the bars.

ITs a National Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay on the designated roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT a place to offroad, unless you like looking out from behind the bars.

True...but untrue at the same time. Many national parks have networks of backroads that the majority of tourists do not use. These roads provide some great scenery while having to use the capability of a 4x4. Of course you always want to stick to an open road and not create your own path as zukman was getting at.

norseman, see if you can get your hands on a back issue of 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine from June 2000. There is a great article on a backroad trip through Yellowstone and surrounding area. In the park there is Blacktail Plateau Drive but since it was written in 2000, check with someone at the park to see if it is still open. Maybe try a search for author Tony Huegel who wrote the article. That trip has been on my to-do list since it was written, let me know how your trip goes.

edit - sent you a PM

Brian, thanks for the article, that is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll have to do more research into whether that area is still open and get back to you.

Zukman, I understand it's a national park. Obviously I'm not going to take a 90 degree turn off a road and go barreling into a herd of elk baja style. I am looking for LEGAL places to explorer. Furthermore, I have heard of several fun places in the surrounding parks where it is LEGAL to go off road. That is why I titled this thread "4x4 trails NEAR Yellowstone?". But thanks for your concern in keeping me out of jail.:thumbsup:

I have heard of some trails up around lander/Riverton area but don't know where/how hard they are. How are you going across I-90 There are plenty in the black hills. from mild to Holy S^&(T.

Tim

Back